Epson Stylus CX8400 All-In-One Printer

James

If you own a Epson CX8400 I have a few questions.

In the Print Preferences Window:

1. Do you have Print Preview that allows you to select which pages are
printed and cancel the pages you do not want printed?

2. Do you have the ability to select double sided printing -- print all the
odd pages and then print all the even pages?

3. Select the print quality, no matter what is selected in the Control
Panel?

Thanks in advance for your help.

P.S. I have a Epson CX6400 and had the features listed above with Windows
XP, but lost them with Vista, so I'm thinking about buying a new CX8400,
because Epson is not going to write code for a new Print Preferences Window
for my CX6400.

huwyngr

These missing settings could mean that you are using a driver that came
with VISTA itself and these are often less fully featured than the ones
released much later by the printer manufacturer.

So I'd check the Epson website for fully featured Epson drivers and
software for your specific model. Since it is an all in one you will
need both printing and scanning software. Luckily it looks like Epson
have both for VISTA. You do not say what version of VISTA you have but
note that the Home versions do NOT have the VISTA Fax and Scan Utility
that is in other versions of VISTA starting with the Business ones.

When you tell the Epson website to download the software make sure you
use the Save option and not the Run option and note where it is saved
to.

If you are using 32 bit VISTA it looks like you should have:

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?oid=90342&prod
oid=63069506&infoType=Downloads&platform=Windows

Printer Driver 6.5aA
Windows Vista 32-bit Edition, Windows XP, Windows 2000
epson12348.exe - 7.7MB - posted on 09/11/07

This self-extracting file contains the Epson Stylus CX8400 Printer
Driver for Windows XP, 2000 and Vista 32-bit Edition (Printer Driver
v6.5aA, Core Driver Disk v6.50). The Epson Status Monitor 3 is
incorporated into this driver. This file self-extracts to your hard
drive and is placed in C:\epson\epson12348_cx84_printer_driver_65aa.

and for your scanner:

TWAIN Driver and EPSON Scan Utility v3.20A
Windows Vista 64-bit Edition, Windows Vista 32-bit Edition, Windows XP,
Windows 2000, Windows Me, Windows 98SE
epson12347.exe - 11.4MB - posted on 09/11/07

This self-extracting file contains the Epson Stylus CX8400 EPSON Scan
Utility and TWAIN Driver v3.20A for Windows 98SE, Me, XP, 2000 and
Vista 32-bit and 64-bit Editions. This file self-extracts to your hard
drive and is placed in
c:\epson\epson12347_cx84_twain_driver_and_epson_scan_utility_320a.

Deal with the printer first and after you have got that working deal
with the scanner including deleting any icon for scanning or faxing
with it that may appear in Control Panel / Fax & Scan. It may be more
difficult to get the scanning working so get the printing working and
come back if you have a problem with scanning.

After you have downloaded the printer software to a folder on your hard
drive where you can find it again (I have one called Internet
Downloads) unplug the USB cable from you printer to the PC at the PC
end; go to Control Panel / Printers and delete any icons that relate to
the printer; go to Control Panel uninstall programs and uninstall any
software for the Epson printer that may be listed and then reboot your
computer.

When you are back in Windows find that file you downloaded and right
mouse click on it. Select Run as Administrator from the menu and OK
your way out -- it should then install the Epson software and driver
you need.

Do not plug the USB cable into the PC until the installion program
tells you to or until you get to finish. Windows will then install the
Epson driver instead of the VISTA one.

Hope that solves it for you.

James

Hugh,

I may have confused you with my question.

I currently own an Epson Stylus CX6400 All in One I bought in the fall of
2004 when I owned my previous computer running the Windows XP Operating
System (OS).

I bought my current computer in April, 2007 and it has the Windows Vista
Home Premium OS.

My current computer's OS supports the Epson Stylus CX6400, but does not some
of the features I had with the previous computer and Windows XP, i.e.:

In the Print Preferences Window:

1. A Print Preview that allows you to select which pages are printed and
cancel the pages you do not want printed.

2. The ability to select double sided printing -- print all the odd pages
and then print all the even pages.

3. The option to select the print quality, no matter what is selected in
the Control Panel.

Thanks for the detailed instructions on the CX8400 -- they will help if and
when I buy a CX8400.
-----

huwyngr

From: "James" <James@home>
Subject: Re: Epson Stylus CX8400 All-In-One Printer

So I looked up the CX8400 ....

But what I wrote about not fully featured applies to the CX6400 if that
is the printer you actually have.

If you go to:

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supAdvice.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie
=yes&noteoid=86150&type=highlights#legend

you can see what Epson say you need to do to get the drivers which for
the CX6400 which is slightly different to the CX8400:

Windows Update = Drivers are available using the automatic software
update service built into Windows Vista. Just connect your Epson
product to your computer and select Locate and install driver software
(recommended) in the window that appears. Your Epson product drivers
install automatically. (You may need to select this option more than
once during installation).

Download = Drivers are available for download from the Epson support
site. Click the product name to go to the Download page for that
product. Be sure to select the correct driver type for your version of
Windows Vista: either 32-bit or 64-bit. To see which version of Windows
Vista you have, click the Start button, Computer, and System
Properties, then check the operating system version listed under the
System heading.

So have a look for yourself. You could see if you can get an update to
the printer by using Windows Update / Custom and seeing if it lists an
update for your printer and applying it then seeing if the printer is
fully featured; if it is not then download the software on the Epson
website. But the scanner is definitely "Download"

Just go to:

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?oid=25723&prod
oid=36478885&BV_UseBVCookie=yes&infoType=Downloads&platform=Windows&x=2
3&y=13

and get the equivalent two downloads.

James

Hugh,

I appreciate all the time and effort you have spent trying to help me, but
it was all in vain -- I have already gone down those roads, and finally
corresponded with Epson last year in May/June and was told they are not
going to write new code for the Epson EasyPrint v3.10A dated 12/21/06 -- so
I'm looking at buying a brand new CX8400, if, and BIG IF, I can get the
options I mentioned earlier in the Print Preferences window.

Thanks again,
James
-----

Judy Booth

Hugh,

I appreciate all the time and effort you have spent trying to help me,
but it was all in vain -- I have already gone down those roads, and
finally corresponded with Epson last year in May/June and was told
they are not going to write new code for the Epson EasyPrint v3.10A
dated 12/21/06 -- so I'm looking at buying a brand new CX8400, if, and
BIG IF, I can get the options I mentioned earlier in the Print
Preferences window.

Thanks again,
James
Unfortunately I don't have a CX8400 (or Vista at home), but one
suggestion is that you could just try downloading the Vista driver for
the CX8400 from the Epson website. You should be able to install this (to
FILE:) and simply take a look to see if Print Preview is there.
We have a CX5400 and the XP driver for that will still give you a print
preview when it is connected to FILE:.
This should give you a reasonable feel for what you can do on Vista.
Alternatively send an email to Epson and ask them what the driver can do
- they *ought* to be able to tell you...

Judy

James

Judy,

Thanks for the tip on downloading the CX8400 Vista driver and installing it
to FILE:

I not real "computer smart" and am drawing a blank on what you mean by
installing it to FILE:

How is this done?

Thanks,

James
-----

huwyngr

I have already gone down those roads

You have used Run as Administrator?

Have you also used the Compatibility mode in VISTA set to XP with SP2?
Epson last year in May/June and was told they are not
going to write new code for the Epson EasyPrint v3.10A dated 12/21/06 -- so
I'm looking at buying a brand new CX8400

Note that the CX8400 uses the same EasyPrint version and date:

Epson EasyPrint v3.10A
Windows Vista 64-bit Edition compatible, Windows Vista 32-bit Edition
compatible, Windows XP, Windows XP 64-bit Edition, Windows 2000, Windows Me,
Windows 98
easyprint - .1KB - posted on 12/21/06

Judy Booth

James said:
Judy,

Thanks for the tip on downloading the CX8400 Vista driver and
installing it to FILE:

I not real "computer smart" and am drawing a blank on what you mean by
installing it to FILE:

How is this done?

Thanks,

James
-----
When you install a driver using the "Add Printer Wizard" you will be asked
which port the printer is attached to. One of the options in this list is
"FILE:". Alternatively, if a driver has already been installed (to a port
such as USB001) go to the Printers folder, right-click on the printer name
to select "Properties" and then open the "Ports" tab - this shows a list of
available ports which will also include "FILE:".

Judy