end task

L

larry jordan

mourning

with my windows 98se, i would click ctrl+alt+delete to
close all running programs except sytray and explorer
before scan and defrag. could someone tell me just how
to run scandisk and defrag on this dadburn XP?

will appreciate any help
thanks much
larry

G

Gerry Cornell

Larry

Task Manager ( ctrl+alt+delete ) is more informative and sophisticated in Windows XP than the version in Windows 98SE. Try entering ctrl+alt+delete and you will see what I mean.

There is no Scandisk in Windows XP. The tool is called Chkdsk. Details here:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/...Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prkd_tro_xudm.asp

Disk Defragmenter is also a much improved and more reliable version. You do not have to worry about interruptions from other running programmes. Having said that leave the programme to run and do not try doing something else on the machine at the same time. The most common problem encountered with the the XP Disk Defragmenter is that 15% free space ( 20% is better ) on each hard drive / partition is needed for the programme to work effectively. You have to run Disk Defragmenter separately for each hard drive / partition is also necessary.

When housekeeping I would recommend you run Disk Defragmenter last. My sequence is:

1. In Outlook Express empty your Deleted Items folder.

2. In Outlook Express run File, Folder, Compact All whilst OFFLINE.

3. Run Disk Cleanup. Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Disk Cleanup.

4. Run Disk Defragmenter.

--

~~~~~~

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FCA
(e-mail address removed)
Stourport, Worcs, England
Enquire, plan and execute.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please tell the newsgroup how any