Encryption, is it necessary?

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I would appreciate your opinions please guys.

Our medical centre has an online form for ordering repeat prescriptions. Usually when I have attempted to use it (on Terry's behalf) it has been disabled. But today, I found that it was functioning, but I had second thoughts, because there is no encryption and a highly visible disclaimer (written in red font) which says:

CONFIDENTIALITY - TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
The internet is not secure, and the transmission of data to request medication is entirely at the patient's own risk. The practice accepts no responsibility for breaches in confidentiality resulting from patients' transmissions.

Wouldn't it be a tad less "risky" if they had some built-in encryption (such as you see at online checkouts, for example?)

I decided against the online form, but wonder whether I'm being too paranoid, so thought I would throw it open to the floor.... well PC Review that is, lol.

Thanks for reading this :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
If somebody did gain access to your repeat prescription details, could they do any harm with the information?

Apart from Spamming I suppose.

I'd use it myself, I know there's always a risk doing stuff online, but I agree some encryption would be a good idea.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Hi Flopps, thank you for the reply. I wondered about this, but they ask for your full name, date of birth, telephone number, email, etc., plus of course the medical stuff being requested. So I just wondered whether that would be sufficient to cause any real harm?

I buy loads of stuff online, but as long as encryption is in place, (with up-to-date certificates, etc.) I don't worry about that, although I except that there is always an element of risk, of course.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
On balance, I don't think I would use it. Especially if it's no great improvement on your present method of getting your prescriptions.

I can't see any excuse for not encrypting. Maybe they've just forgotten about it. Have you thought about going in and telling them that there is a potential problem? It could turn out that they may be very happy to hear about it from you, especially if they have forgotten, or are unaware, about it.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
You may be confusing "encryption" with "secure" access ... my bank uses secure access, no encryption there. ;)

Oh, and yes, anybody can read anything, if they have the right tools.

Me, I like the the walkout once a month, after I phoned in. :lol:

:user:

Reaction score
Hi Taffy,
I suppose if you have doubts then just dont use it....trust your instincts cos you can never be paranoid if the "threat" is a real threat and, in this case it is a little risky. I wouldn't use that service.
I need a service that will carry all my meds home for me lol.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Wherever you have to fill forms with names and DOB's the site is suppose to be secure. I have a feeling like others chimed in that THEY forgot about it. So yes if you could just call them and verify it would be a better idea. I personally would not be very comfortable if the address bar does not start with "https" if I have to give out information especially personal.

Just my two cents.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Thank you all for your responses, I appreciate your opinions :thumb:

Niv and Quad - I think you could both be right, it might well be worth speaking with them, because although the website has been up and running for some time, there were previously some glaring errors, which made accessibility difficult (they have since been corrected). So it might just be an oversight :thumb:

Mucks, they don't allow scripts to be phoned in at our surgery, so it means a trip to deliver the form, then another trip two days later, to collect it, etc. The pharmacy next door will collect the script from the surgery and home-deliver the meds, but they are not reliable, so it's usually better to collect them in person.:rolleyes:

Just to clarify, they don't have an https: or a wee padlock etc., so no sign of security that I could see.

Zed, yes I would agree, we shall carry on in the old-fashioned way until they change it (or more probably IF they change it.) The good ladies who "man" the desk, are not usually too receptive to suggestions... heck, even the practice nurses are wary of them!! :lol: