Embedded Excel Objects

G

I have embedded several excel charts in a document due to various formatting reasons which made this method simpler than pasting a link or simply a picture. The file has become larger than expected so I have gone into the embedded object and deleted all worksheets and charts that are not needed for the particular chart shown. For example, if I have 1 excel file with 10 charts and 30,000 rows of data, then by the time I have embedded all charts, there is actually all 10 charts and 30,000 rows of data in each chart (correct?). I am basing this assumption on the fact that I can double click on the object and switch between charts like I could in excel. So, to try to reduce space I have gone to each embedded object in the word file and removed the 9 un-needed charts and 75% of the rows of data, so that what is left is just what is needed for that one chart. This has had very little effect on overall file size however -- less than 1% and I know that 90% or more of the total file size is due to these objects

Is this a problem that word has allocated the memory for the embedded object and will not reduce the space when less is needed? Is there anything I can do to reuce the file size? I am sure I have removed at least 60 to 70% of the data that was embedded within the various embedded objects

Thanks for any hel

(btw, I am using office xp and windows xp)

C

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi =?Utf-8?B?QnJhbmR0IFNheGV5?=,

Why have you embedded Excel chart objects, rather than copying and pasting as a
picture? Do you really NEED the OLE interface in the Word document? Could you
conceivably turn these into static pictures (select, then ctrl+Shift+F9)?
I have embedded several excel charts in a document due to various formatting reasons
which made this method simpler than pasting a link or simply a picture. The file has
become larger than expected so I have gone into the embedded object and deleted all
worksheets and charts that are not needed for the particular chart shown. For
example, if I have 1 excel file with 10 charts and 30,000 rows of data, then by the
time I have embedded all charts, there is actually all 10 charts and 30,000 rows of
data in each chart (correct?). I am basing this assumption on the fact that I can
double click on the object and switch between charts like I could in excel. So, to
try to reduce space I have gone to each embedded object in the word file and removed
the 9 un-needed charts and 75% of the rows of data, so that what is left is just what
is needed for that one chart. This has had very little effect on overall file size
however -- less than 1% and I know that 90% or more of the total file size is due to
these objects.
Is this a problem that word has allocated the memory for the embedded object and
will not reduce the space when less is needed? Is there anything I can do to reuce
the file size? I am sure I have removed at least 60 to 70% of the data that was
embedded within the various embedded objects.
Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister (last update Sep 30 2003)
http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow question or reply in the
newsgroup and not by e-mail :)

Ask a Question