E-Buyer - not impressed

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I put an order together and inc postage it came to £366.07 at E-Buyer and £387.49 at Overclockers.

As E-Buyer are now doing next day delivery for a fair price and some guys here have had good experiences with them, I thought I'd risk buying from them.

So I place the order and then get an e-mail saying my Barclaycard has been declined.

So I try again and get the same e-mail - card declined.

So I phone Barclaycard and they tell me that because E-Buyer made a verification sale (where they charge you a pound but don't actually take the money to verify the card is good) twice, they suspected fraud and put a temp block on my card's use. And they then unblocked my card.

If E-Buyer had only made one verfication sale it would have been ok, but e-buyer made a mistake.

It had now gone 5.30pm so too late for me to take delivery tomorrow, which is what I had made plans for. If I take a delivery I have to stay in all day which can be a bit of a pain.

So I decide to place the order, which involves selecting 'Change Payment' from their menu and I can't enter the card details again, it just keeps directing me back to my order page.

So:

Don't these fools want my money?

Are E-Buyer still as disorganised and unreliable as they were a few years back?

Is it really worth saving £21.00 over Overclockers for all this hassle?

I shall phone them in the morning and if I manage to get through to them and they can arrange a Wednesday delivery, I'll go for it.

If not, E-Buyer can kiss my ****

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
I had a similar issue with Scan - because of the amount of internet fraud going on, Barclaycard blocked authorisation even though I went through the veri-sign service - I only realised when I got an email from Scan saying the card had been declined.

I phoned Barclaycard and they said it was now current practice due to online fraud to do this - and after a load of security questions they eventually authorised it.

What I'm trying to say I suppose is that maybe Barclaycard are being slightly economical with the truth and in fact blocked your card on the first attempt, which meant you then tried again and then Ebuyer made the second verification sale attempt?

I have had quite a few online sales blocked like this recently - I have now got a note on my Barclaycard account for them to ring me on my mobile if they block a sale for any reason so I can verify it ASAP.

Edit: a bit off topic I know, but I ordered a couple of items from Misco at 8.20pm this evening, and I've just had an email at 9.46pm saying they've been dispatched - now thats is quick service!!

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I phoned E-Buyer at 9.30am today and got straight through and spoke to a lady about my prob.

She was very pleasant to deal with, took the payment from my card and told me the delivery would be tomorrow.

So it does seem as if the blame lays more with Barclaycard.

I await delivery with interest.

If it arrives on time, is packed well and all items work ok, I'll add E-Buyer to my 'trusted with caution' list :)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Ordered Crucial memory ( cheapest on the net ) and a psu with free delivery this was by far the best deal on the net . They sent me a confirmation e-mail in a few hours . Goods arrived 5days later as promised . What else can I say . Good price good delivery . Seem ok to me .
Still , I wasn't in a rush for me stuff . :thumb::D

Vroom vroom
happywave.gif

Reaction score
Are E-Buyer still as disorganised and unreliable as they were a few years back?

It appears they are giving poorer service FSB:nod: [never thought I would say that] :bow:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
All goods arrived yesterday at 10.30am, well packaged and they all work ok :thumb:

Good grief - hell has frozen over :eek:

Credit where credit's due - that order - apart from the credit card glitch - went ok :)

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Yeah but you only find out how good they really are when something has to go back....Good job it all works flopp's...:thumb:

my last order about 4 weeks ago I had to return and it took em 3 days to answer my E-note, when they did respond my order was dealt with quickly....Should of rang them really but whats the point in having an e-note system if its not being used to its potential...

Ebuyer are still one of the retailers I use but less frequently after Scan and Amazon who are both amazing...:nod:

Reaction score
In my experience, ebuyer did have a few probs during the warehouse move. I had a small problem if a LCD TV remote not working for a LCD TV I bought from them. I contacted their support using the E-notes facility on the site and everything was sorted within 3 days. You might find http://www.ebuyerlistens.com/index.php/about/

helpful.

Hope that helps.

Reaction score
I'm in need of an external hard disk. I've found this one on Ebuyer at for just under £70. http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/124035
I'm going to order it at around 3pm today and it says 3 working days delivery is £5. Hopefully it will be delivered on Thursday. Lets see how well they process my order.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
michealk said:
I'm in need of an external hard disk. I've found this one on Ebuyer at for just under £70. http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/124035
I'm going to order it at around 3pm today and it says 3 working days delivery is £5. Hopefully it will be delivered on Thursday. Lets see how well they process my order.

Since I started this thread E-Buyer have improved tremendously, I've even had a couple of orders with them myself in the last six months or so.

I wouldn't worry if I were you, you should be just fine :)

However, do please return here and let us know the outcome.

Reaction score
feckit said:
How long have you been working for ebuyer then michealk?

LOL I wish, Then I could save even more with my staff discount. But on a serious point I do use Dabs, savastore and bigpockets. Had a couple of problems with dabs and parcelforce. I've just ordered it and paid £5 for delivery by Thursday. It better arrive on Thursday otherwise they'll be gettin an ear bashing from me
nod.gif

IMO the worst ever e-tailer experience I've had is with this company called eclipse computers. They have to be the worst ever to exist. Ordered a Logitech MX Revolution mouse from them. Arrived used in an opened box. Tried to complain, they did nothing. The mouse worked so I just lived with it. But Eclipse - never again.

Last edited:
Reaction score
michealk said:

I ordered that very same drive last week i went for the free delivery and it was delivered in 3 days,good drive but it needs formating in NTFS on arrival.I have had many things from Ebuyer had a couple of problems but they were sorted pretty damn quick.

Ask a Question