DVD player + or -???

Reaction score
I'm just burnt a movie of a friends wedding to DVD-RW. But it wont play in my DVD player. Is this because it wont play - and should i burn to +RW instead. Have checked my manual for my standalone DVD player but cant see anything. Samsung DVD-M108. Cheers in advance.

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
what format is the disc burnt in ? have you made it into a proper DVD or is it a S/VCD ?

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Usually the manual would have information like media compatibility mentioned. On the other hand you can also check in the specs about formats which may also have the required info. DVD "-" is supposed to be backward compatible and should work in all older players. However DVD "+" is the newer version and may not play on all DVD players. I tried to find out the info on the Samsung but could not get the data from my usual source. You may check Samsung site in your region and see if you find anything on this player. Some of the models are region based and therefore are not commonly found on the internet.

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
according to the user manual it plays DVD's and VCD's but it doesn't say anything about DVD+/-RW discs

Reaction score
Me__2001 said:
according to the user manual it plays DVD's and VCD's but it doesn't say anything about DVD+/-RW discs

True. Could it be one of these things that someone suggested to me. Try using a DVD-R(better for the laser tos shine or something?) My DVD player is about 4 years old? The software i used only allows to wartch DVD on the PC? Baffles me.

Reaction score
Me__2001 said:
what format is the disc burnt in ? have you made it into a proper DVD or is it a S/VCD ?

DVD for sure.. It plays in my PowerDVD program. But as i said wont work on my standalone DVD player.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Quad is right in saying DVD-R are generally much more compatible with standalone DVD Players, and many players are very fussy about using re-writable discs.

What you can try is changing the book type within the bitsetting from DVD-RW to DVD-ROM prior to burning, this generally gives a more compatible burn for use on standalone players.

If you use Nero6 you do it like this: Nero Toolkit>Nero CD-DVD Speed>Extra>Bitsetting.

Sorry I cant help regarding other burning suites:(

Reaction score
Sorted now. I think it was because of the program i was using. Now i've got Nero Vision. It works fine. Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

Ask a Question