DVD/CD Rom Doesn't recognize any media in Windows


G

Guest

Background info is, my Sony DRU-810A worked fine until I had a corrupt
registry. I was able to recover it using the recovery console in XP setup.
I followed the instructions on http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

Everything works except Norton AV and my CD/DVD-ROM. I did a drive check on
it using Sony's diagnostic tool, and it read and wrote to it fine. I can
also read and write to the drive with Nero. There are no problems in my
device manager. I have uninstalled it from there, unplugged the drive, let
it reboot and reinstall.

It the drive shows up in My Computer, but when I put any CD or DVD in I get
"Please insert a disk into drive D:." I'm stumped.
I have also checked and made sure autorun is set in the registry, and
deleted the UpperFilters or LowerFilters registry values in
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

It will boot from the Windows CD, so that leads me to believe that the drive
is good.

If I type D: at the command line, I get "The parameter is incorrect."

I tried to give all the details I could. I just don't want to wipe this
machine.
 
Ad

Advertisements

J

joseph2k

deathsfriend said:
Background info is, my Sony DRU-810A worked fine until I had a corrupt
registry. I was able to recover it using the recovery console in XP
setup. I followed the instructions on
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

Everything works except Norton AV and my CD/DVD-ROM. I did a drive check
on
it using Sony's diagnostic tool, and it read and wrote to it fine. I can
also read and write to the drive with Nero. There are no problems in my
device manager. I have uninstalled it from there, unplugged the drive,
let it reboot and reinstall.

It the drive shows up in My Computer, but when I put any CD or DVD in I
get
"Please insert a disk into drive D:." I'm stumped.
I have also checked and made sure autorun is set in the registry, and
deleted the UpperFilters or LowerFilters registry values in
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

It will boot from the Windows CD, so that leads me to believe that the
drive is good.

If I type D: at the command line, I get "The parameter is incorrect."

I tried to give all the details I could. I just don't want to wipe this
machine.
In any case you have sufficient trouble that you need to backup your data.
It may be possible that a repair install will fix this, or is that some
other OS i use.
 
G

Guest

joseph2k said:
In any case you have sufficient trouble that you need to backup your data.
It may be possible that a repair install will fix this, or is that some
other OS i use.
I was hoping to avoid a reinstall. I'm pretty sure it is a registry problem.
 
Ad

Advertisements

J

joseph2k

deathsfriend said:
I was hoping to avoid a reinstall. I'm pretty sure it is a registry
problem.
The problem did not sound related to any of the variants of autoplay, and it
did not seem directly related to drivers. You could look at those if you
think it might help.
 

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Top