Duplicate context menu items

Mike McCune

In the past couple of days, on two different Windows XP
Pro computers I use, I am starting to see duplicate items
showing up in my right click context menus. Specifically
these duplicates appear when right clicking on shortcuts
(not files, folders or drives).

My desktop at home now has 2 'Scan for Viruses' commands
when I right click a shortcut and my work laptop has 2
sets of 'WinZip' commands. Both sets of these commands
work fine, but there only needs to be one of each there.
I know how to remove the items, but when I try that it
removes both entries; I still want one of each of these
entries when I right click.

Any ideas as to why this happens, or what could have
caused this to just start happening recently?

Doug Knox MS-MVP

Mike,

Look in the Registry (Start, Run and enter REGEDIT). Go to:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers

Look in the subkeys for a related item. If found, right click the
appropriate subkey and select Export. This creates a backup, in case you
make a mistake. Then right click the same key and select Delete. This
particularly applies if there are more than one entry for the particular
program.

Mike McCune

The only two items in that key were Offline Files and
{00021401-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}. I knew it wasn't
Offline Files, so I exported and deleted the other one.
That did make it so I only had one WinZip entry in my
context menu, but now Windows doesn't know how to open
lnk files. Any other ideas?

Mike

Doug Knox MS-MVP

Reimport the key you exported, for now. Just double click the REG file you
saved.

Mike McCune

Yep, already imported that back in and it made lnk files
useable again, but then the double winzip command is
back. Interestingly enough, these double commands are
not appearing in the same section of the conext menu.
Here is a little diagram of how it looks:

Open
Run as...
----------------------
Scan for Viruses...
WinZip
Pin to Start menu
----------------------
Open With
WinZip
----------------------
Send To
----------------------
Cut
Copy
----------------------
Create Shortcut
Rename
----------------------
Properties

Does this additional info maybe give anyone any new
ideas? I would think if it shows up twice in two
different sections that there would be two places in the
registry where the two different commands can be stored,
but I can't find them.

Mike

David Candy

I would (in winzip) go Options menu - Configuration - System tab and clear the entry for Context menus.

This should remove the second 2nd entry of winzip. (then turn it on here once you find the other one)

Look here for where it may be. On most computers at least 1/2 of the possible entries won't exist because they are for Per User installs, which is rare on most non domain computers.

Doug told you how to find in a virtual way. But this doesn't always show the true entries. HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT is built from the trees at
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes
and
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes

Most computers have no entries under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes so HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT is identical to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes
but if identical entries exist in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes they override HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes

Therefore check the following places (known as extensions)
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.zip
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\.zip

If winzip is associated with archives (the context menu doesn't care if it is or not - it works regardless) then the default value of the above is linked to winzip, if not to Compressed Folders. Look up (known as the ProgID)

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\winzip (or CompressedFolders depending on the default value of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE or HKEY_CURRENT_USER \Software\Classes\.zip)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\winzip

Files also inherit from some special file types
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\* (all files)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\*

and

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\AllFileSystemObjects (all files and folders)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\AllFileSystemObjects

Files can also be linked to CLSID (winzip isn't) - eg the inbuilt zip viewer is linked to clsid {E88DCCE0-B7B3-11d1-A9F0-00AA0060FA31}by the entry at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CompressedFolder\CLSID

So also look up
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\CLSID\<a number you find from the other keys if any>
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\CLSID\<a number you find from the other keys if any>

Also files have backup associations (generally specified by the PercievedType value at
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\.zip)

Look at these 4 places
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\SystemFileAssociations\.zip (which will link to a clsid I mentioned above)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\SystemFileAssociations\Compressed (Shouldn't actually exist)

HKEY_Current_User\SOFTWARE\Classes\SystemFileAssociations\.zip
HKEY_Current_User\SOFTWARE\Classes\SystemFileAssociations\Compressed

Plus for the default open verb if it's set using Open With it is specified here
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.zip (there is no local machine equiv)

That only 17. I always mis-count.

The order they appear on the menu appears to be (I've not run experiments [well just one little one) so ...) Specific to the file, ones for All Files, then All FileSystemObjects. However shortcuts also take their context menus from the target as well as for shortcuts. These entries appear between the shortcut specific entries and the All Files (*) entries.

After you do zip do lnk. And the other one as well.

The purpose of context menu extensions is to provide intelligence on what shows on the menu - eg the simple verbs (under Shell) always show, and show exactly the same all the time. Contect Menu handlers get asked each time a menu is built what entries, if any, it wants to show. So even if Pin To Start Menu isn't available on a contexrt menu, the program got executed and decided not to put itself on the menu (inappropiate file type for that command for instance).

I hope this info helps you.

Mike McCune

When I turn off the context menu option for Winzip, it
gets rid of BOTH winzip entries in the context menu for
shortcuts (not just the second entry), as well as
removing the single entry every other type of object
had. Thus, when I search these various registry keys, I
don't see anything relating back to a winzip context menu
item. Should I try turning it back on and re-searching
all of these keys to see if it gets added somewhere twice?
[...]

"Mike McCune" <[email protected]>
wrote in message [email protected]...

David Candy

Yes. You know the number of it ({E0D79304-84BE-11CE-9641-444553540000}

But something tells me something else is happening. What had you installed recently.

The fact it affects both laptop and desktop - but differently is wierd. A bug in winzip and your AV program that only happens to you doesn't sound creditable.
Mike McCune said:
[...]

Durand

Did you delete any "IsShortCut" entries in the registry to remove the shortcut
arrows? That's responsible for the double entries in the context menu. I had
done the same thing and then when I put them back, the double entries were gone.
If you want the shortcut arrows gone and keep the context menu with the single
entries, just go here: http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/75/. Use
the change icon option instead of removing the shortcut arrows.

Durand

Mike McCune said:
[...]

Success!

I didn't personally delete any of those IsShortCut
entries you mentioned, but your mention of deleting the
shortcut arrows did lead me to find the solution. I have
both TweakUI and System Mechanic on my system and they
both had the option to not show shortcut arrows. I
turned them both back on, rebooted, and it fixed my
original issue but did add the shortcut arrows back. I
turned TweakUI's option back on, rebooted, and now I only
have the one Winzip entry in my context menu and my
shortcut arrows are not there. That's exactly what I was
looking for!

Sounds like it might be a problem with System Mechanic's
shortcut arrow command, or maybe having two separate
programs that try to control that? Anyway, I'm all fixed
up for now, thank you so much for your help Durand :)

Mike McCune

--
Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows XP/ Windows Smart Display
Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes

wrote in message
[...]

"Mike McCune"
wrote in message
[...]