Dual processors vs dual cores?

J

jbclem

I'm looking at used dual processor setups and realize that I'm not sure the difference between dual processors and the newer dual core processors. Aside from age and speed differences, are there actual functional differences? Can you buy newer dual processors/motherboards still, or are all the P4's dual core.

jc

M

Mike T.

I'm looking at used dual processor setups and realize that I'm not sure the
difference between dual processors and the newer dual core processors.
Aside from age and speed differences, are there actual functional
differences? Can you buy newer dual processors/motherboards still, or are
all the P4's dual core.

jc

A dual CORE chip is two processors that share a single package, and only
occupy one slot on a mainboard. There are no functional differences.
(well, there are sometimes some cache sharing differences, but nothing that
would affect performance significantly) Yes, you can buy dual processor
mainboards. These tend to be server boards usually. For example, Tyan
sells a dual opteron mainboard, which supports dual CORE processors. If you
have enough money, you could use one of those puppies to build a FOUR core
system.

But if you just prefer dual processors and don't want to spend a ton of
money, you should be building dual core. -Dave

D

DaveW

Pentium's and the newer Core 2 Duo's are NOT capable of being used in dual processor motherboards. In the Intel line you have to get a Xeon CPU if you want to go dual processor. And, yes, Xeon's come as either single or dual core processors. So if you use two dual core Xeon processors in a dual processor motherboard, you would have four cores working. (That's what the new Mac Pro uses.)

J

jbclem

Following up on your replies, can you tell me if software that was designed to work with dual processors, will work just as well with dual core processors. And can any software take some advantage from dual core processors, or does it have to be especially designed for them?

jc
I'm looking at used dual processor setups and realize that I'm not sure the difference between dual processors and the newer dual core processors. Aside from age and speed differences, are there actual functional differences? Can you buy newer dual processors/motherboards still, or are all the P4's dual core.

jc

E

Ed Medlin

Following up on your replies, can you tell me if software that was designed to work with dual processors, will work just as well with dual core processors. And can any software take some advantage from dual core processors, or does it have to be especially designed for them?

jc
Yes and yes. Software designed for dual processors will see two processors and take advantage of them. Most all benchmarks on the Core 2 Duo have shown they run great with most all software. As far as actually taking advantage of the dual cores, no, but since the processor can do so much work per second, all software benefits.

Ed

Ask a Question