Dual Monitor Setup?

Reaction score
Hi all, this is my first post and im completely technologically challenged:blush: so sorry for any mistakes first up.

I just bought a new monitor and am looking to have two monitors setup through my desktop which is a HP Pavillion Media centre running on XP with service pack 2.

In the device manager it says I have a 'Radeon X300 series' (which I assume is the video card?) and also shows 'Radeon X300 Series secondary' in the drop down tree.
On the back of my pc it looks like this http://www.pacificgeek.com/productimages/xl/RV370SE-BULK-CO.jpg
with vga, s-video and comp-out connections.

I have my monitor connected via the VGA connection and was wondering if I am able to connect my other monitor?

If not I understand I would have to change my video card and was wondering if anyone could suggest a budget replacement?

Thanks.

Reaction score
You don't have a secondard VGA output.

There is probably ways and means, but i'd pick up another graphics card.

If you don't play games, then you'll pick one up dirt cheap :)

Reaction score
Edit: Any graphics card you pick up nowadays is likely to have either DVI, Dual DVI or 1x DVI and 1xVGA

DVI is the best - It's better quality, and the cards usually come with little adaptors that allow you to use your VGA monitors.

Reaction score
Ok cool, thanks for the advice.

I play a few games but not many....this site has just got me back into TrackMania that I used to play a few years ago and I sometimes go for a quick killing session on Battlefield 2 but generall use my XBox 360 for gaming.

Im asssuming the card I have is pretty basic and that most cards would actually be an improvement on what I have?

Any advice on which new cards to check out? As I said, im completely void of any technological knowledge and wouldnt know what im looking for in terms of ability!

Thanks again.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
If your PCI E then something like this might do you .

http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Comp...Radeon+X1650+Pro+512MB+PCI-E+?productId=30729

happywave.gif

Reaction score
Thanks Abarbarian,

That price looks good (the missus spends all my hard earned on handbags and tanning!) but how do I know if Im PCI E?

Sorry, I know its like talking to a 5 yr old (that may be an insult to 5yr olds)

Cheers

Reaction score
Thanks everyone.
bowdown.gif

My shopping list now includes new video card...probably waynos-face' suggestion and a dvi to vga adaptor as my old monitor has no dvi connection.

Lookin forward to havin dual monitors setup and to see what kind of improvement performance wise I get from the new video card.

Thanks again everyone, youve made it a lot simpler for me. Just gotta replace the card which Ive been told is relatively easy so figures crossed!

Im sure I will be posting again with other issues I encounter!:rolleyes: lol

Reaction score
Ok, so heres the next issue! lol

Just checked the properties for my Radeon X300 and it shows the location as
PCI bus 1, device 0, function 0
So I only have PCI and not PCI E.:mad:

Any suggestions for a replacement??

Cheers

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
What processor do you have? cause it might be worth upgrading your motherboard, no point putting a semi decent graphics card on a "tonk" motherboard.

Reaction score
Double check first.
First physically check (i.e open up the case) to check what slots you actually have.
Well if you only have PCI slots then definately get a new motherboard.
If you have an AGP slot then you can use that as a short term solution where you plug in a AGP GPU for dual screens before you move on to a completly new system.
Theres the odd chance that you actually might have a PCI express 16 slot for a modern day graphics card. Theres nothing stopping the origianl vendor to have sold you a PC with a really old graphics or intergrated graphics to save himself some money.

Reaction score
Ok, so my PC properties tell me I have Intel(R) Pantium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHZ.

When I open up the case how can I actually tell what slots I have, I really dont know what I'd be looking for.

And if Im gonna be looking for a new motherboard what should I be after?
( I have 1GB of RAM if that matters?)

Cheers.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Download a program called Everest Home and it will tell you everythinmg you need to know about your pc .

happywave.gif

Reaction score
I didn't think they made the X300 in an old school PCI format! I thought it would be PCI-E and perhaps AGP8x at a push... but not PCI!

Might be wrong!

Reaction score
Ok so I downloaded everest and produced a report. Ive copied and pasted the part I believe to be relevant and am hoping Im reading it right as it seems to show I have an emty PCI E slot?! Although I am a bit confused because it appears I have PCI and PCI E slots which seems starnge rather than having all PCI E?

Could you please confirm Im readin it correctly?
Btw....what a great programme this is, thanks Abarbarian!

[ System Slots / PCIEX16 ] System Slot Properties: Slot Designation PCIEX16 Type PCI-E x1 Usage In Use Data Bus Width 32-bit Length Short [ System Slots / PCI1 ] System Slot Properties: Slot Designation PCI1 Type PCI Usage Empty Data Bus Width 32-bit Length Short [ System Slots / PCI2 ] System Slot Properties: Slot Designation PCI2 Type PCI Usage In Use Data Bus Width 32-bit Length Short [ System Slots / PCI3/PCIEX1 ] System Slot Properties: Slot Designation PCI3/PCIEX1 Type PCI Usage Empty Data Bus Width 32-bit Length Short

Reaction score
Also you appear to be right Christopher, DOne a quick search and cant find a PCI version on the web for a X300 SE! I hope this is the case.

Ask a Question