Dual Core Processor

Reaction score
I am new to overclocking and was wondering if it is possible to overclock an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Processor?

Any info. would be much appreciated.

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
yes it is, i was reading on the overclockers forums today and one of the members has a 4400 running at 3Ghz, i think he's running phase change but its still impressive

if you go to www.cpuid.com and download clockgen you can OC from windows

edit : actually just checked they dont have a version for X2 CPU's so it looks like its from BIOS only, also keep the Vcore below 1.45 volts unless you really wanna start pushing it

Last edited:
Reaction score
Nice link, I`ll check it out.

Thanks friend :)

Edit: I`ll not attempt it until I have enough info. I`d probably end up breaking something. I`ll see what I can discover.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Some people just can't leave anything alone.....If it ain't broke don't fix it....Because otherwise you'll break it....:p

Reaction score
Very true and I will definitely not attempt to OC it if I think I will be unsuccessful. I was just curious at first to know whether it can be done. After reading into it a little further it seems that it can be overclocked. I will leave it be for a few weeks/months and see what happens with others over a period of time after overclocking theirs.

I also have to take into account that I will be invalidating the warranty.

Reaction score
We overclock them coz the video encoding is the the thing it excels at. CP ripping...Image editing....the CPU(s) need to be overclocked to get the best for that.

One thing to watch for...the CPUs wont (generally) OC to the same level. One CPU can be disabled, and guys are finding that one does better than the other, and the lower speed wins, obvioulsy. They kick out a lot of heat, so have a good cooler!

:)

Kenny

The strange overclocker....

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
i have OCed to mostly my CPU and video card (giving up during summer). but ocing a dual core wont net you any worth while speeds...as you do have 2 processors already.

Reaction score
But for most apps, its only like having one Processor. You know that if you have a dual-core processor with each core at 2.2GHz, thats not the same as having a single core proc at 4.4GHz.... The software needs to be able to split the task between the cores. Things like SuperPi have no use for it for example.

Overclocking a good chip will ALWAYS get u a good speed...Theres a guy benching a 4800+ at 3.1GHz. Thatrs gonna rule almost everything. It`ll rock as hard as an FX55 or 57 at 3.1GHz, and for software that can use 2 cores, it`ll wipe the floor with a FX55 at any speed. :)

Reaction score
I'm sure you could... but why would you??

To be honest I could not see AMD comming out with anything that could not be overclocked... I mean thats who they are and why OCers like them. But I also agree that I don't really see the point in OCing a 64 x2. I mean, what more do you want from it, then again their are those that do it for the bench marks and bragging rights. I say leave well enough alone. Learn all you can and feel free to experiment, but go SLOW. I'd say make minimal increases to bus and see if any diff is noticed, watch your temps. Realise... the more performance you want out of your machine the more money you will have to spend keeping it stable. I'd say before you really want to oc, invest in a water cooling kit. Don't take my advice as a golden rule, its just my thoughts and recomendation.

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Sorry kenny i disagree,
in apps the dual core reigns supreme, but the fastest single core CPU will beat out the fastest dual core (no ocing in either) in gaming. and if you were to oc both cpus the results would not vary too wildly in my opinion.

Reaction score
LOL..Only one way to find out... :)

But...the CPU speeds would have to be the same between the single and dual-core procs. The fastest single core proc is 2.8GHz and the fastest dual-core is 2.4GHz... Thats an unfair fight :)

Ask a Question