dual boot NT and XP...

G

I have XP Pro installed and working well on a separate NTFS partition. I used to run NT4.0 and have discovered several legacy apps. that will not run on XP -- only on NT... So...

I want to set up a dual boot with NT4.0 SP6 and XP Pro. I've used Partition Magic for years so my question is not about setting up the dual boot but about the NTFS support under XP and NT.

I have several NTFS data partitions that XP has converted to its NTFS version. According to Microsoft, NT4.0 SP5 and above support 'most' of this NTFS version. I want to install NT on its own NTFS partition and give it access (eventually) to the XP NTFS data partitions. The problem is it will be the 'old' NTFS version (when I format the partition during the initial NT install process) until I can get SP6 applied.

Will I run into problems with NT 'looking at' the XP NTFS data partitions while I do the NT install?

M

Matt Coy

Marty,

have you tried the legacy apps on XP using compatibility mode?

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/gethelp/appcompat.asp

--
Matt Coy, MCSE

Marty said:
I have XP Pro installed and working well on a separate NTFS partition. I
used to run NT4.0 and have discovered several legacy apps. that will not run
on XP -- only on NT... So...
I want to set up a dual boot with NT4.0 SP6 and XP Pro. I've used
Partition Magic for years so my question is not about setting up the dual
boot but about the NTFS support under XP and NT.
I have several NTFS data partitions that XP has converted to its NTFS
version. According to Microsoft, NT4.0 SP5 and above support 'most' of this
NTFS version. I want to install NT on its own NTFS partition and give it
access (eventually) to the XP NTFS data partitions. The problem is it will
be the 'old' NTFS version (when I format the partition during the initial NT
install process) until I can get SP6 applied.

G

Yup. They just sit there and consume memory! One of them is a scanner which loads its driver, hiccups, then XP promptly unloads the driver -- usbscan.sys. I'm going round and round with HP on that one!

Ask a Question