Driver support for Roland SCC-1 (ISA sound card)?

M

Mitchell Spector

A rather quick question...

I have a Roland SCC-1 (8-bit ISA slot card) which despite its age,
is still a very high-quality and rich sounding synthesizer sound card,
complete with built-in MPU-401.

Is there still driver support for this card under Windows XP? I still
us it for MIDI recording and playback and thought I read of
some compatibility issues. I could keep a Windows 98 partition
specifically for using it, but I rather work with it under Windows XP.

I'm moving from 98 to XP shortly and thought I'd ask now...

Reaction score
Roland SCC-1 with Windows XP

Mitchell Spector said:
A rather quick question...

I have a Roland SCC-1 (8-bit ISA slot card) which despite its age,
is still a very high-quality and rich sounding synthesizer sound card,
complete with built-in MPU-401.

Is there still driver support for this card under Windows XP? I still
us it for MIDI recording and playback and thought I read of
some compatibility issues. I could keep a Windows 98 partition
specifically for using it, but I rather work with it under Windows XP.

I'm moving from 98 to XP shortly and thought I'd ask now...

Mitchell:

I am in the same boat and will share any info I come up with. So far, only my Windows 98 is recognizing my SCC-1. I found what supposedly is a Windows XP driver on driverguide.com, had to register and select at least one promotional interview to join. Driver didn't work. I called Roland today (323-890-3700-2-2482 and was advised to check out the Edirol.net website, but neither of us could find a driver and finally the man came back and said there were none, unless a Google search could come up with a third-party creation.
My recording needs a more stable system, so XP held some promise, but not if it means doing without the SCC-1, so unless you have found something, I may have to reinstall Win98.

Anything from your way that you have found? I'm still going to look further.
By the way, I also tried replacing the downloaded driver from driverguide.com, in the Windows/system32 folder, but it didn't work.

Robert

Reaction score
Mitchell:

I am in the same boat and will share any info I come up with. So far, only my Windows 98 is recognizing my SCC-1. I found what supposedly is a Windows XP driver on driverguide.com, had to register and select at least one promotional interview to join. Driver didn't work. I called Roland today (323-890-3700-2-2482 and was advised to check out the Edirol.net website, but neither of us could find a driver and finally the man came back and said there were none, unless a Google search could come up with a third-party creation.
My recording needs a more stable system, so XP held some promise, but not if it means doing without the SCC-1, so unless you have found something, I may have to reinstall Win98.

Anything from your way that you have found? I'm still going to look further.
By the way, I also tried replacing the downloaded driver from driverguide.com, in the Windows/system32 folder, but it didn't work.

Robert

Reaction score
solution for scc-1 card in windows xp

Here how to make a Roland SCC-1 work on a Windows 2000 Pro box (provided that your motherboard has an ISA slot) and using the standard Windows 2000 MPU401 driver. It was included, but unfortunately Microsoft didn't include the .INF file needed to conveniently install the driver.

Afer downloading the INF and after the new hardware installation, I ended up with two MPU drivers, ie:

MPU-401
MPU-401(2) All you need is this INF file...
"msmpu401.inf"

Get it here:
http://www.borg.com/~jglatt/midi/msmpu401.inf

Enter into CONTROL PANEL. Launh the ADD NEW HARDWARE icon. Just tell that thing that you have a generic music device, and that you have the "disk" neeed and then browse to the INF file. Windows2000 will do the rest.

VOILA!

Your SCC-1 is saved and will see another day.

I found this on the internet search. Good luck, I will try it also
Robert

Reaction score
Here how to make a Roland SCC-1 work on a Windows 2000 Pro box (provided that your motherboard has an ISA slot) and using the standard Windows 2000 MPU401 driver. It was included, but unfortunately Microsoft didn't include the .INF file needed to conveniently install the driver.

Afer downloading the INF and after the new hardware installation, I ended up with two MPU drivers, ie:

MPU-401
MPU-401(2) All you need is this INF file...
"msmpu401.inf"

Get it here:
http://www.borg.com/~jglatt/midi/msmpu401.inf

Enter into CONTROL PANEL. Launh the ADD NEW HARDWARE icon. Just tell that thing that you have a generic music device, and that you have the "disk" neeed and then browse to the INF file. Windows2000 will do the rest.

VOILA!

Your SCC-1 is saved and will see another day.

I found this on the internet search. Good luck, I will try it also
Robert

Ask a Question