Windows Vista Driver Software for Vista

Reaction score
I'm a bit new to all this and as I understand from other Vista users, my problem is not a new one....Simply, when I "upgraded" to Vista from XP via a new laptop, I found great difficulty succesfully installing drivers and other software for devices which were formerly a breeze with XP.

My latest is for my camcorder which is one of the old Sony DCR-HC19E type which uses tapes. A program called "Picture Package" is provided on disc to convert the images to digital format on the laptop. Windows XP naturally installs the required drivers for the camera.

Vista does not support :
a) Picture Package
b) Drivers for the Camera itself

I have attempted to find compatible software which will do the jobs and have installed something called PMB Launcher which seems to be similar to Picture Package....However, until I can get the images from the camera I cannot find out if this program works or not !

I have tried contacting Sony and Windows but after several attempts with no reply I have concluded that to be a useless path to tread....

To recap....what I need is a simple bit of advice on where to go to obtain the correct Driver Software for the above device...

Boy oh boy !...I wish I had remained with my lovely Windows XP !!!

stupot52

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
How does the camera connect to the PC?

If you connect the camcorder to the PC/Vista you may be able to see it as a device within 'My Computer' and from there browse to your footage files and download them.

The only problem here is the file extension for your files may be peculiar to Sony's own software and therefore unrecognisable within Windows.

But assuming you can download the files you can probably use Vista's own Windows Movie Maker to edit and render to common digital file formats, or burn straight to DVD.

Vista did make a lot of hardware redundant, probably because XP was so long-lived, progress not always neccessarily a good thing eh?

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Reaction score
Drivers for Sony Handycam DCR-HC19E

Thanks floppy,

In fact I have already tried that, but the device does not show up within "My Computer" so that path seems to be a dead end...Basically I need to install the correct Device Driver Software for this camera..Does anybody know of some "cool" websites where I can obtain this ? I don't mind paying a few quid as long as the costs are not penal.

I am now considering trying to get my old laptop working again so that I can get this device to function, but that to me, seems a backward step !!! Right now the old laptop has a problem with the hard drive, which I am trying to resolve.

Thanks again..

stupot52

Reaction score
Driver for old Sony Handycam

An Update !!

After spending most of today going round in circles with this...have finally managed to install drivers that recognise the camera....Eventually got them off the Sony Europe site...The procedure for installation, once downloaded, is not straightforward however....Anyhow, I have now come across the next problem which is......The PMB (Picture Motion Browser) software I had already installed does not support the use of USB cables for importing tapes to digital format, as the old Picture Package did......I now have to buy something called an i.LINK cable...I have no idea how that connects or if there are many types of this cable with different specs. ...Anybody out there got any ideas ?
Thanks,

stupot52

Ask a Question