DOS extended memory manager

In win98 I have a DOS program that runs my spindle engraving machine. This
DOS program runs fine on my laptop under win98 using COM1 to communicate and
driving the newhermes vanguard computerized engraver. My problem is that
when I recently purchased a NEW winXP home edition and upgraded to XP, this
DOS progam will not run, although others do. I get the following messages in
the DOS window box when I try to run my engraver driver program.....

"An extended memory manager is already installed
XMS driver not installed"

I NEED this driver program to function in XP as it does in 98 so I can run
my engraver, if it will not, then I have spent and wasted $98.oo (plus tax)
on a product that I cannot use (winXP home edition)..... !!!!!

JS

Troubleshooting MS-DOS-based programs in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314106/en-us

How to use Windows Program Compatibility mode in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/292533/en-us

How to Troubleshoot 16-Bit Windows Programs in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314495/en-us

How to use the Program Compatibility Wizard in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/301911/en-us

JS

"DOS Ext. mem. mgr prob 98 to XP upgrade" <DOS Ext. mem. mgr prob 98 to XP
news:[email protected]...

Pegasus \(MVP\)

[...]

Here are a couple of options:
a) Boot the machine with a Win98 boot disk (www.bootdisk.com), then
run your engraver.
b) Download and install the free Microsoft Virtual PC
(http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/virtualpc/default.mspx).
I'm not sure whether it will let the engraver talk to the serial port
which I suspect your engraver uses.

Doug Knox - [MS-MVP]

In addition to the other advice:

To try to fix this problem, right-click the program executable and select
Properties. Choose the Memory tab. On this tab are sections for configuring
Conventional, Expanded, Extended and Protected memory.

By default, you should find that the dropdown list in the Total field of the
Conventional memory area is set to 'Auto'. You'll also find that the
dropdown lists for Expanded and Extended memory are set to None and 0,
respectively. Choose 'Auto' for both of these options and click OK to close
out of the Properties window.

The initial environment should also be set to its highest setting of 4096.
Under the Total dropdown box is a box labeled 'Protected'. This protects the
system memory from modifications made by the selected program and should be
checked.

You may also want to check out a program called DOSBox.

http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/information.php

--
Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart
Display\Security

DOS Ext. mem. mgr prob 98 to XP upgrade said:
In win98 I have a DOS program that runs my spindle engraving machine. This
DOS program runs fine on my laptop under win98 using COM1 to communicate and
driving the newhermes vanguard computerized engraver. My problem is that
when I recently purchased a NEW winXP home edition and upgraded to XP, this
DOS progam will not run, although others do. I get the following messages in
the DOS window box when I try to run my engraver driver program.....

"An extended memory manager is already installed
XMS driver not installed"

I NEED this driver program to function in XP as it does in 98 so I can run
my engraver, if it will not, then I have spent and wasted $98.oo (plus tax)
on a product that I cannot use (winXP home edition)..... !!!!!

I think you are trying to run an application of 16-bit on operating system
designed for 32 or 64-bit?.
Either update the software or disable it from starting up.
HTH.
nass

Patrick Keenan

[...]

Did you by chance check with the vendor prior to upgrading, as to whether
the application, driver, or hardware are compatible with XP? Not all are.

What does the vendor say?

HTH
-pk

HeyBub

DOS said:
In win98 I have a DOS program that runs my spindle engraving machine.
This DOS program runs fine on my laptop under win98 using COM1 to
communicate and driving the newhermes vanguard computerized engraver.
My problem is that when I recently purchased a NEW winXP home edition
and upgraded to XP, this DOS progam will not run, although others do.
I get the following messages in the DOS window box when I try to run
my engraver driver program.....

"An extended memory manager is already installed
XMS driver not installed"

I NEED this driver program to function in XP as it does in 98 so I
can run my engraver, if it will not, then I have spent and wasted
$98.oo (plus tax) on a product that I cannot use (winXP home
edition)..... !!!!!

Uh, can't you keep running your program from the laptop?