Domain Registrar Warning

Reaction score
STAY AWAY FROM GODADDY!

Just a little warning to those of you out there who do website development work and domain registrations, regarding GoDaddy and specifically backordering domains.

About a month ago I paid to backorder a domain with the domain registrar GoDaddy.com. I have used GoDaddy for years for regular domain registering and never had any issue, I have in fact recommended them many times for registrations. I have heard, however, that their hosting and mail services are some of the worst - especailly when it comes to service...now I see why. For years I have heard horror stories about all of their services, except perhaps for their domain registering. Now I have to say that that too is garbage.

I purchased my backorder while the domain was in "Pending Delete" and even though GoDaddy "does not guarantee" that they will get the domain for you, I figured I had a better shot than if I didn't backorder. I WAS WRONG. I had been receiving notices from GoDaddy whenever the domain status changed, and the day the domain became available I received an email saying someone else had registered it. It turned out to be an automated domain registrar from Venezuela.

Oh well, I said. I guess I paid $20 for nothing.

Little did I know how true this was...for a couple of days later I received another GoDaddy email stating that the domains' status had changed once again. It seems that the registrar had cancelled or released their request for the domain, but even so I could not tell this from GoDaddy's "whois" lookup on their site. It gave me some weird error. I decided to call them, and, even though they were courteous (at first) they had no real explanation except to say that the domain "looks to be registered by someone, sorry".

Ok...so now I am beginning to doubt. So I go to another registrar online...a very reputable one. And lo and behold the domain came up on their whois as available. In less than 5 minutes I had a site up and running. UNBELIEVABLE!

I have since contacted GoDaddy twice stating how unhappy I am and if they want to keep me as a customer they should give me my $20 back. I have basically been told "Sorry to see your business go...buh-bye!". It amazes me that in such a competitive industry that they could care less about a customer!!!

GoDaddy is a cheap registrar and I see why. From now on though I'll pay 50 cents more to someone I can trust...

So, who knows of a decent registrar (cheap would be nice)? I need to transfer about 10 domains...

Reaction score
I basically don't trust anyone to register my domains anymore since the '.eu' fiasco, i got screwed over by some top UK registration agencies, such as 1&1 and 123Reg.

So i steer well clear of them now, currently looking into getting my own Licence with Nominet for domains, but for anything other than a '.uk' ending i use DirectI (www.directi.com) we use their services quite frequently without any problems.

Reaction score
If you like expensive domain registrations then Yes! :p

I would very much suggest www.4dreg.com i use them quite often, their the most down to earth Registrar in the UK.

Their great!

Reaction score
ChrisIMRIE said:
If you like expensive domain registrations then Yes! :p

I would very much suggest www.4dreg.com i use them quite often, their the most down to earth Registrar in the UK.

Their great!
Why so cheap compared to easily.co.uk then?

darcy

Enjoyin' the Breeze
Reaction score
ChrisIMRIE said:
I basically don't trust anyone to register my domains anymore since the '.eu' fiasco, i got screwed over by some top UK registration agencies, such as 1&1 and 123Reg.
i am not overly keen on blanket statements,, ~ you reckon can clarify *how* you got "screwed over" by 1and1 ?
{ am curious, as having several domains registered/hosted w/them,, }

thank you :)

Reaction score
Basically, i pre-ordered some .eu's with 1&1 and they got registered, but i never got access to them, and when i spoke to 1&1 customer services, they basically said No i wouldn't get access and hung up.

Never got a single .eu put into my 1&1 account but the WHOIS shows my information.

So spent a fortune registering domains i can't use, same happened to me at 123Reg.

darcy

Enjoyin' the Breeze
Reaction score
many thanks for ur reply, cImrie, ~ 'tis appreciated.

i am sorry to hear o' ur woes,,

Ask a Question