Domain name change

G

I am running WinXP Pro. I have a VPN connection to connect to employer network. Previously, I could logon under one of 2 domains, home and work. I have been having issues with administrator rights when trying to reinstall certain games and have not been able to figure it out. I checked system properties and found that my computer name and domain has changed from what it was. It used to be my name but is now a domain that seems to be my employer's domain that has undergone a change. However, I still logon to work under the old domain.

I'm not a novice user, but am a novice when it comes to networks, domains, profiles, etc. Any idea what's going on here?

Thanks for any help that can be provided.

G

I suspect your employer’s server team has done some handy scripting that does some network config at your local PC during VPN logon. It might also be designed to undo its changes at logoff but failed at last vpn logoff. Ask your employers help desk of network admins for help.
I could be way off here, but have seen a very similar situation with a free wireless WWW access feature from a hotel. It also changed up the network configs. It went as far as loading a protocol (I can't remember it) I have never seen before and put all the current connections into a virtual tunnel. I was told it didn’t even work at the hotel... .

G

Thanks...I'll ask the "support desk" at work. I haven't found them to be all that supportive in the past which is why I started here first. We'll see what happens.

Ask a Question