Samba based Domain Controller

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Is anyone here using Samba as a Domain Controller? I've got the option to use this on my new NAS (although I'm having problems setting it up), but I'm considering giving it a go for our home network. It's certainly overkill, but I'd at least like to test it and see how it works.

I'd be interested to know how you thought it compares to a Windows Server based DC - can it fulfil the same roles? I'd like to be able to use roaming profiles, configure network/VPN connections, roll out software packages and give permissions for network drives.

Reaction score
I use Samba via my Media system Popcorn A400

However all programming is built in no tweaking really unless I want to start messing about adding other address's and what not

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Is that Samba to access the file shares, or are you using it as a full Active Directory Domain Controller?

I've got Samba set up for file share access on the NAS, but it looks like that Samba can also be configured to act as a standalone DC, with the appropriate configuration.

Reaction score
Yeah just file sharing mate. Not many options for any other configuration as far as I'm aware. Certainly not within the A400 settings menu. There maybe a homebrew version but as the old saying goes "if it ain't broken"

Last edited:

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
The only knowledge ( and I use that word loosely ) I have of Samba was when setting up a Ubuntu file server.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys :)

@Abarbarian - it looks like that domain controller is the one the NAS uses (it runs Debian, IIRC). I was just wondering if anyone had experience using it, as I've run in to problems with the one on the NAS. I'll get in contact with QNAP support and see if they can advise.

Ask a Question