Does anyone here know anything about computers??

Lizv

You know, since these are all volunteers that are helping
in here you should be thanking them instead of
complaining. If you don't like it here why not just go
elsewhere. I have seen lots of the harder problems solved
here. I don't understand why there always has to be
someone who likes to start trouble. And that is exactly
what you are doing. So, you might try saying THANKS to
all of those who so graciously volunteer their time and
expertise.
.

Sharon F

Hardly, considering I fixed the problem before anyone replied to the
message.

Well, why not share what worked for you? That's the whole point of
newsgroups...

Jim Macklin

Yes, what exactly did the halt error say? Did it finish
POST?

"Fighting for kids" <adf> wrote in message
| Actually the original post said:
|
| XP, Boot Failed: system halted error.
|
| Should I get MORE specific than that???
|
| | > I have found that stating the Subject with something
direct as "Help -
| > Notepad doesn't spell correctly" or "Help - Hardware
failures" or "Help -
| > Can't get Messenger to work" attracts attention faster
than just "Help".
| > Posting the nature of your question in the subject line
usually gets a
| > volunteer expert's attention faster, especially when
it's in an area that
| > the expert knows more about.
| >
| > I hope this helps you FFKids.
| >
| > Now then, back to Q & A time without the mud please.
| > oops -- I saw mud on my face when I looked in the
mirror...

| > Flames are expected and accepted. Idiot's flames I
digress upon that
| > statement.
| > =0)
| >
| > 'nutherBob

| my
| > > question!!!
| > > Im saying that newbie questions are "easy" compared to
some of the other
| > > questions ive seen and that they newbie questions get
answered and the
| > > others dont. That is it!!!

answer
first

Jim Macklin

If that is so, why did 3/4 of the world choose to use MS?

"Fighting for kids" <adf> wrote in message
| I would suggest that microsoft makes lousey products
rather than user error.

| "Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)"
| message | > It could be that the difficult questions are the result
of the operators
| own
| > doing. Most computer problems are. Without having the
machine in front of
| > you, to work on and trouble shoot, the questions may
never be answered
| > satisfactorily!

| > be pretty much "newbie" easy questions. Does anyone
here really know
| about
| > solving more difficult problems? I still have yet to
see the difficult
| > questions get answered....

kurttrail

Jim said:
If that is so, why did 3/4 of the world choose to use MS?

Like we really had a choice. When I bought me first computer in 1995, I
had no real choice. Even at that time, MS was already the monopoly OS
for PCs, and the only OS offered by PC Manufacturers.

--
Peace!
Kurt

Michael Stevens

kurttrail said:
Like we really had a choice. When I bought me first computer in
1995, I had no real choice. Even at that time, MS was already the
monopoly OS for PCs, and the only OS offered by PC Manufacturers.

And your point is? What was the other choice? OS2? OS2 was promising, but
abandoned.
That was then, this is now.
Linux is much improved in the user friendly aspect, probably close to the
point MS was in 95. There are many consumer outlets providing the choice
between Windows and Linux. Mac is a viable choice and has a very loyal
following. MS even produces much of the productivity software for the
platform.
Capitalism's distracters labels capitalism's top dog the villain and the
capitalism's top dog. LOL
You cite MS marketing in depressed countries in examples, and I say what is
your point? The market determines the price, marketing adjusts to the supply
and demand.
--

Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
(e-mail address removed)

kurttrail

Michael said:
And your point is? What was the other choice? OS2? OS2 was promising,
but abandoned.

LOL! Like OS2 was ever a real choice for consumers! When I bought my
first computer, I was manufacturer shopping for months prior to my
purchase, but I don't remember one of them offering OS2. And if I would
have decided to buy a Mac at the time, I would have had to wait to 1996
to be save up the additional money. Plus Apple wasn't in the best of
shape as a company around that time, and was a real gamble if they were
even gonna survive.
That was then, this is now.
Yep.

Linux is much improved in the user friendly aspect, probably close to
the point MS was in 95. There are many consumer outlets providing the
choice between Windows and Linux.

Keep up the news dude. Red Hat is pulling out of the consumer OS
business, and is only gonna support businesses.

http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104_2-5102282.html?tag=zdfd.newsfeed
Mac is a viable choice and has a
very loyal following.

Less than 5% of the market.
MS even produces much of the productivity
software for the platform.

LOL! Office for Mac support can go any time at the whim of MS, just
like IE for Mac!
Capitalism's distracters labels capitalism's top dog the villain and
the next in line that hollers the most about the top dog, wants to be
capitalism's top dog. LOL

True capitalism is flawed, hence regulations to promote competition. MS
is almost the poster child for the flaw in capitalism, one company
gaining to much control in one market, and then expanding into other
markets by using their monopoly position in it's original market. Now
they also want to control the digital rights of everybody in their homes
too. Unchecked, what is to stop MS's power grabbing? Where will it
end? The United States of Microsoft?
You cite MS marketing in depressed countries in examples, and I say
what is your point? The market determines the price, marketing
adjusts to the supply and demand.

Or the developed world's consumers are subsidizing MS's fight with
Open-Source software in those developing nations.

"'Microsoft -- in response to a Linux threat -- recently reduced pricing
to US$40 for an Office and Windows package it offered as part of a
government initiative in Thailand,' said the report." -
http://www.itworld.com/App/888/030822officeprice/

"In Thailand the piracy rate remains at 77% in 2002 which is the same as
the previous year. The revenue losses increased to US$81 million, from
US$41 million in 2001." -
http://global.bsa.org/thailand/press/newsreleases/2003-06-03.1672.phtml

"The U.S. piracy rate hit an all-time low of 23%, currently the lowest
piracy rate in the world." -
http://global.bsa.org/usa/press/newsreleases/2003-06-03.1628.phtml

Which country logically deserves to pay lower prices, the pirate
country, or the country with the lowest piracy rate in the world? With
a MS OS & Office package for $40 in the US, MS software theft would be
almost non-existent here. But MS real motivation is stopping software
piracy, but defeating all competition, no matter how small, until their
isn't any competition, anywhere in the world. Now they are moving to do
the same in the digital media, the gaming industry, and even more scary,
in mobile communications. Can anybody say Ma Bell of the 21st Century?
MS is a rogue corporation, the Iraq of the global economy, and we better
do something about it soon, or the consequences of inaction now could be
the MicroDomination of the global economy in the future. And as the
recent attacks on the MS OS have shown, the over-reliance on one
companies products is very insecure in the virtual world. How secure
would the global economy be, dominated by one company in the real world?

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei!"

rifleman

Michael Stevens said:
The market determines the price,

Not in the case of MS desktop products. MS is a near-monopoly and therefore
can dictate the price it sells it's products at because at this moment there
is almost NO competition. I agree Linux on the desktop is making rapid
strides, but that's only happened in the last couple of years. MS has had a
near-monopoly in desktop applications and OSs for at least 15 years.
Certainly in the UK there has only ever been one real competitor and that is
the Mac, which up 'till recently has been the domain of graphic designers in
the main, and NOT used for normal office productivity. It is STILL very
difficult for Joe Public (in the UK certainly) to buy a PC or Laptop with
anything BUT MS products on it. I don't think ANY of the major
large-store-type vendors, (and I'm thinking PC World types here) sell any OS
other than Windows. And it's Joe public that make up the vast proportion of
computer users!

kurttrail

Michael Stevens wrote:

You cite MS marketing in depressed countries in examples, and I say
what is your point? The market determines the price, marketing
adjusts to the supply and demand.

Below is the post that you are referring to where I last cited this,
which you left totally unanswered at the time. And my point at the time
was that MS wouldn't have any need for PA to slow the software piracy of
their software in the US, if we only had to pay $40 bucks each for
Office & Windows, let alone $40 bucks for both like in Thailand.

kurttrail wrote in the thread "licensing" on Thursday, October 30, 2003
2:19 PM:
Michael said:
kurttrail wrote:
When those words don't take into account the limitations placed on
copyright owners by the US Congress, it's the words on the box that
are suspect in the first place. Those words assume MS has the right
to enforce those words in the privacy & anonymity of my home, which
no copyright owner of any type has that right. No law, nor court
decision has ever upheld any like it!

Nor have they ruled against it. When the consumer has access to
information [prior to the purchase] on the product box. That there
are limitations on the use of the software and a technology is
incorporated into the software to enforce the limitation that insure
they must select the agreement button to continue the install of the
software [selecting the button that you disagree ends the setup], I
would give at least a 50/50 chance of the courts ruling in favor of
the owner of the technology.
Why do you assume Microsoft has no right to enforce the usage of
their product?

Because they have no right to even know who I am. It's a matter of
logic. How can they expect to enforce their "rules" on someone that
has every right to remain absolutely anonymous to MS.

Say I'm gonna license to you the commercial use of my Appalachian
Trail photos. How could I ever enforce the terms of my license, if I
have no expectation of ever knowing who you are?
Do you think MS is even concerned about individuals bent on
defeating the activation process?

No, they are more concerned about the people that they can FUD into
buying more software than they need. MS knew that some consumers have
had difficulty understanding the PA message, "According to our
records, the number of time you can activate Windows with this
product key has been exceeded. Please enter a different product
key." Since there is really no stated limit that XP can be activated
by MS, this message is totally & purposefully deceptive, confusing
people into thinking that they buy a new product key. Did MS change
the wording with SP1, after people post their confusion over this
message for the year prior to SP1's release? No. Why?

The only reason I can think of is that MS wants to keep the ordinary
end user confuse, because that confusion can get MS more money than
clearly stating that all the end user needs to do is phone MS.
Even with your help and
encouragement, "fair use assumptions", piracy, counterfeiting, etc.
is a fraction of the XP installed user base. The activation process I
am sure has fulfilled it's goals, and after monitoring these
newsgroups since XP's release, I have not seen the widespread doom
and gloom of mass failure you and others predicted activation would
cause.

Tell that to those that have experienced PA license check errors.
I see the occasional activation glitch, and curse the extra
hoops I and the rest of the XP consumers are forced to jump through
because of the increasing global piracy of software.

Yet MS sells both Windows & Office to pirate countries with a piracy
rate of over 70% for forty dollars, and here in the US where the
piracy rate is under 25% the Student version of Office is over three
times more. If Windows & Office were $40 bucks each in the US, the
piracy rate for them would be almost non-existent.
You are absolutely right. If you are under the radar and have no need
for direct support from MS or future updates that could be tied to
valid XP activations, it is very unlikely Microsoft will intrude into
or impede the use of your computer.
Microsoft also doesn't have the right to know what you smoke or don't
in your home. :cool:

But that's the only way they can ever expect to enforce their
so-called "license" only if they know who bought their "license."
There is no "bait-n-switch " when the consumer has access to the
limitations prior to purchase. Where is the bait and switch?

A "shrinkwrap license" is between manufacturers and consumers when the
consumer need to break his anonymity to get satisfaction from the
manufacturer, due to defect of product. Consumer electronics products
had "shrinkwrap licenses" to protect them from consumers trying to get
them to fix or replace products due to consumer negligence.

A "software license," like a car lease, is between two parties that
know who each other are right from the start of the agreement. MS
tries to make a retail anonymous "shrinkwrap license," into a
"software license," but logic dictates that an actual software
license doesn't really exist, since MS has no right to know who has
purchased this so-called "software license."
What is
so hard to understand about this?

Nothing, what you don't you understand is simply that MS can't enforce
any usage term on people they don't even know have purchase their
retail software to begin with.
And your classification it is even a shrinkwrap license is not
clearly defined in any ruling I can find. It's pretty vague exactly
what classifies a retail software license as shrinkwrap.

That's because their is no such thing as a "retail software license,"
only "retail shrinkwrap licenses," which is any agreement that is
hidden inside of the retail shrinkwrap packaging of any retail
product.

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei!"

Michael Stevens

kurttrail said:
LOL! Like OS2 was ever a real choice for consumers! When I bought my
first computer, I was manufacturer shopping for months prior to my
purchase, but I don't remember one of them offering OS2. And if I
would have decided to buy a Mac at the time, I would have had to wait
to 1996 to be save up the additional money. Plus Apple wasn't in the
best of shape as a company around that time, and was a real gamble if
they were even gonna survive.

So? Did I say it was offered or even dispute your assumption? I was asking
your point. If there is no other choice, why is the choice evil? Microsoft
was a monopoly by default.
Keep up the news dude. Red Hat is pulling out of the consumer OS
business, and is only gonna support businesses.

So much for Free, I guess.

Still a viable choice despite the numbers.
LOL! Office for Mac support can go any time at the whim of MS, just
like IE for Mac!

Yes, but why would they kill a cash cow?
True capitalism is flawed, hence regulations to promote competition.
MS is almost the poster child for the flaw in capitalism, one company
gaining to much control in one market, and then expanding into other
markets by using their monopoly position in it's original market. Now
they also want to control the digital rights of everybody in their
homes too. Unchecked, what is to stop MS's power grabbing? Where
will it end? The United States of Microsoft?

Lack of digital rights is almost killing the music industry, the music
industry is probably as much to blame as anyone else by not embracing the
technology, but they are hurting and may not recover. Now the film industry
is feeling the same thing.
[...]

So exactly what is you beef?
--

Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
(e-mail address removed)
http://michaelstevenstech.com

kurttrail

Michael said:
So? Did I say it was offered or even dispute your assumption? I was
asking your point. If there is no other choice, why is the choice
evil? Microsoft was a monopoly by default.

Because I was answering Jim's erroneous assumption that 3/4 of the world
"choose" MS, when most were sucked in to MS because there was no other
choice from PC manufacturers, and MS used their monopoly position to
make sure the PC manufacturers didn't offer any.
So much for Free, I guess.

The free options are beyond most average private consumers.
Still a viable choice despite the numbers.

Really? How much Mac software do you find in your local Walmart?
Yes, but why would they kill a cash cow?

LOL! To cut down on development costs. I doubt we'll see a Linux
version of Office. Why not? Wouldn't that be even more of a cash cow
as Office for Mac? Oh yeah, then business could switch to a Linux OS,
because that OS can run on a PC, unlike the Mac OS.

If Mac put out a version of their OS that could run on a PC, see how
fast MS drops Office for Mac.
Lack of digital rights is almost killing the music industry, the music
industry is probably as much to blame as anyone else by not embracing
the technology, but they are hurting and may not recover. Now the
film industry is feeling the same thing.

What's killing the music industry is their own fault. They should have
made a business model out of filesharing right from the start, but
instead of changing with the times the clung to their out-dated business
model. Now the want us all to cry about their spilt milk. Boo Hoo!

As for the Movie Industry. ROFL!

http://www.post-gazette.com/movies/20020630summermovies0630fnp3.asp
So exactly what is you beef?

Read my other post.

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei!"

lurkee

So basically, you're just a troll then, hmmn?

Hardly, considering I fixed the problem before anyone replied to the
message.

appears to be from
his

.