Does anyone here know anything about computers??

Fighting for kids

I dont mean to come of as rude, but all the posts that get answered seem to be pretty much "newbie" easy questions. Does anyone here really know about solving more difficult problems? I still have yet to see the difficult questions get answered....

davetest

I dont mean to come of as rude, but all the posts that get answered seem to be pretty much "newbie" easy questions. Does anyone here really know about solving more difficult problems? I still have yet to see the difficult questions get answered....
What you call difficult is not really that... they're just more
obscure, and probably nobody has seen it before...just my 2 cents.
Dave

Jim Macklin

It is best NOT to use HTML when posting to newsgroups.
Qustions are answered by [eop[le who volunteer their time
and knowledge. If a question is stated clearly, an answer
is more likely to be forthcoming. A common post has the
subject line...HELP which isn't helpful at all.

When a problem develops and you post a question, the more
detailed the description of the system, software and
environemnt the more likely the correct answer will be
discovered.

There are a number of real experts, there are some people
(myself , for one) who are just trying to help within our
limitations and learn more in the process and there are some
who are just here to bash Microsoft and spout off.

"Fighting for kids" <adf> wrote in message
I dont mean to come of as rude, but all the posts that get
answered seem to be pretty much "newbie" easy questions.
Does anyone here really know about solving more difficult
problems? I still have yet to see the difficult questions
get answered....

well we may seem newbie but i guess we should just let you
answer all the questions that microsoft doesn't answer
seeing how you must of been born all knowing the first
time you sat in front of a computer screen
I dont mean to come of as rude, but all the posts that
get answered seem to be pretty much "newbie" easy
questions. Does anyone here really know about solving
more difficult problems? I still have yet to see the
difficult questions get answered....

kurttrail

Jim said:
It is best NOT to use HTML when posting to newsgroups.
Qustions are answered by [eop[le who volunteer their time
and knowledge. If a question is stated clearly, an answer
is more likely to be forthcoming. A common post has the
subject line...HELP which isn't helpful at all.

When a problem develops and you post a question, the more
detailed the description of the system, software and
environemnt the more likely the correct answer will be
discovered.

There are a number of real experts, there are some people
(myself , for one) who are just trying to help within our
limitations and learn more in the process and there are some
who are just here to bash Microsoft and spout off.

Don't forget those of us that can help out with questions, and bash MS
at the same time.

And you forgot the biggest group, those MS sychophants that are only
trying to get or keep their free MSDN subscriptions.

--
Peace!
Kurt

R. McCarty

This is a "Public" forum, designed for all Windows XP users.
A high percentage of the postings are answered, both correctly
and in a timely manner. XP.General is not a substitute for tech
support, but in many cases it is far superior to ACD queues,
paid support and cheap, inexperienced front-line technicians.

Most of the questions are general in nature and most times have
been answered many times before. But no matter how many times
that question is asked, somebody on the NG will answer.
(And those answers will sometimes start a disagreement between
posters.)

Hardly a day goes by that I don't read something on this NG that
isn't new information or a different slant on something.
(Alternate software solutions, tools, tips, etc)

Personally, I think this newsgroup's purpose is both for help &
to train those "Newbie's" in understanding how XP functions and
to learn simple diagnostic skills.

Most people who obtain a fix from the NG don't post back a
status report, so how is it you believe "difficult" questions go
unanswered. Even off-topic posters will get directed to the right
NG or support venue.

Fighting for kids

Jim Macklin said:
It is best NOT to use HTML when posting to newsgroups.
Qustions are answered by [eop[le who volunteer their time
and knowledge. If a question is stated clearly, an answer
is more likely to be forthcoming. A common post has the
subject line...HELP which isn't helpful at all.
Posted twice one with specifics in it, the other with HELP in it. Thought
if I appeared as a newbie then someone would address the issue. Apparently
not.
When a problem develops and you post a question, the more
detailed the description of the system, software and
environemnt the more likely the correct answer will be
discovered.

Doh!!! Really? Two posts isnt enough, what detail do you propose ALL of us
here post?
There are a number of real experts, there are some people
(myself , for one) who are just trying to help within our
limitations and learn more in the process and there are some
who are just here to bash Microsoft and spout off.

Fine, good for you. Bash Microsoft? Spout off??

Fighting for kids

R. McCarty said:
This is a "Public" forum, designed for all Windows XP users.
A high percentage of the postings are answered, both correctly
and in a timely manner.

High precentage of the same questions being answered the same way over and
over.

XP.General is not a substitute for tech

Then why have it??

but in many cases it is far superior to ACD queues,
paid support and cheap, inexperienced front-line technicians.

it is you could have fooled me!!!
Most of the questions are general in nature and most times have
been answered many times before.

Yep sure have..

But no matter how many times
that question is asked, somebody on the NG will answer.
(And those answers will sometimes start a disagreement between
posters.)

Really??? Ive seen lots of questions go unanswered.
Hardly a day goes by that I don't read something on this NG that
isn't new information or a different slant on something.
(Alternate software solutions, tools, tips, etc)
Personally, I think this newsgroup's purpose is both for help &
to train those "Newbie's" in understanding how XP functions and
to learn simple diagnostic skills.
Most people who obtain a fix from the NG don't post back a
status report, so how is it you believe "difficult" questions go
unanswered. Even off-topic posters will get directed to the right
NG or support venue.

Really..still waiting...

Crusty \(-: Old B@stard :-\)

It could be that the difficult questions are the result of the operators own
doing. Most computer problems are. Without having the machine in front of
you, to work on and trouble shoot, the questions may never be answered
satisfactorily!

"Fighting for kids" <adf> wrote in message
I dont mean to come of as rude, but all the posts that get answered seem to
be pretty much "newbie" easy questions. Does anyone here really know about
solving more difficult problems? I still have yet to see the difficult
questions get answered....

Fighting for kids

Im not trying to say that im all knowing if I was I wouldnt have posted my
question!!!
Im saying that newbie questions are "easy" compared to some of the other
questions ive seen and that they newbie questions get answered and the
others dont. That is it!!!

Jim Macklin

Chuckle

"kurttrail" <[email protected]>
wrote in message
| Jim Macklin wrote:
|
| > It is best NOT to use HTML when posting to newsgroups.
| > Qustions are answered by [eop[le who volunteer their
time
| > and knowledge. If a question is stated clearly, an
answer
| > is more likely to be forthcoming. A common post has the
| > subject line...HELP which isn't helpful at all.
| >
| > When a problem develops and you post a question, the
more
| > detailed the description of the system, software and
| > environemnt the more likely the correct answer will be
| > discovered.
| >
| > There are a number of real experts, there are some
people
| > (myself , for one) who are just trying to help within
our
| > limitations and learn more in the process and there are
some
| > who are just here to bash Microsoft and spout off.
|
| Don't forget those of us that can help out with questions,
and bash MS
| at the same time.
|
| And you forgot the biggest group, those MS sychophants
that are only
| trying to get or keep their free MSDN subscriptions.
|
| --
| Peace!
| Kurt
| Self-anointed Moderator
| microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
| http://microscum.com
| "Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an
Oxymoron!
| "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei!"

Steve Nielsen

Fighting said:
It is best NOT to use HTML when posting to newsgroups.
Qustions are answered by [eop[le who volunteer their time
and knowledge. If a question is stated clearly, an answer
is more likely to be forthcoming. A common post has the
subject line...HELP which isn't helpful at all.

Posted twice one with specifics in it, the other with HELP in it. Thought
if I appeared as a newbie then someone would address the issue. Apparently
not.

I see only one post from you in recent past and that was just this
morning (unless you posted under a different name) the contents of which
were:

*****************
Subject: HELP

"XP Home, SP 1

When I boot im getting a black screen that says

" Boot Failed: System Halted"

Any suggestions?"
*****************

Do you realize there are over 1000 post to this forum a day? Try to be
patient, sometimes it takes a while to get answers. This is NOT
instantaneous communication here.

Someone in fact DID post a reply and said it was a hardware failure,
which it is. If it was possibly not a hardware failure it would not have
halted but likely would have prompted you for a bootable disk. The fact
that the system halted pretty much cinches it; that error message is
from the BIOS and it means that the system is incapable of booting at
all. It could be something as simple as a bad RAM module, which is cheap
and easy to replace. You got an answer, perhaps you simply didn't see
the answer. If you're using the crappy web interface to read this forum
stop! Use something with real newsreader capabilities such as Outlook or
Netscape Communicator and you'll have a much easier time sifting through
the thousands of articles here and actually be able to SEE them in
threads. If you don't have the knowledge or resources to troubleshoot it
yourself then take the machine to a shop for testing/repair or if under
warranty contact the manufacturer's tech support.

And yes, the original post in this thread DID come off as a bit rude if
you ask me and so do the rest of your replies in this thread but that's
probably due to your inpatience and frustration with a busted PC.

Steve

Jim Macklin

This is all I wrote, the rest was Steve, I guess,
in message

| >>It is best NOT to use HTML when posting to newsgroups.
| >>Qustions are answered by [eop[le who volunteer their
time
| >>and knowledge. If a question is stated clearly, an
answer
| >>is more likely to be forthcoming. A common post has the
| >>subject line...HELP which isn't helpful at all."

wrote in message

| >>It is best NOT to use HTML when posting to newsgroups.
| >>Qustions are answered by [eop[le who volunteer their
time
| >>and knowledge. If a question is stated clearly, an
answer
| >>is more likely to be forthcoming. A common post has the
| >>subject line...HELP which isn't helpful at all.
| >>

| > Posted twice one with specifics in it, the other with
HELP in it. Thought
| > if I appeared as a newbie then someone would address the
issue. Apparently
| > not.
|
| I see only one post from you in recent past and that was
just this
| morning (unless you posted under a different name) the
contents of which
| were:
|
| *****************
| Subject: HELP
|
| "XP Home, SP 1
|
| When I boot im getting a black screen that says
|
| " Boot Failed: System Halted"
|
| Any suggestions?"
| *****************
|
| Do you realize there are over 1000 post to this forum a
day? Try to be
| patient, sometimes it takes a while to get answers. This
is NOT
| instantaneous communication here.
|
| Someone in fact DID post a reply and said it was a
hardware failure,
| which it is. If it was possibly not a hardware failure it
would not have
| halted but likely would have prompted you for a bootable
disk. The fact
| that the system halted pretty much cinches it; that error
message is
| from the BIOS and it means that the system is incapable of
booting at
| all. It could be something as simple as a bad RAM module,
which is cheap
| and easy to replace. You got an answer, perhaps you simply
didn't see
| the answer. If you're using the crappy web interface to
read this forum
| stop! Use something with real newsreader capabilities such
as Outlook or
| Netscape Communicator and you'll have a much easier time
sifting through
| the thousands of articles here and actually be able to SEE
them in
| threads. If you don't have the knowledge or resources to
troubleshoot it
| yourself then take the machine to a shop for
testing/repair or if under
| warranty contact the manufacturer's tech support.
|
| And yes, the original post in this thread DID come off as
a bit rude if
| you ask me and so do the rest of your replies in this
thread but that's
| probably due to your inpatience and frustration with a
busted PC.

| Steve

sli

Steve said:
And yes, the original post in this thread DID come off as a bit rude
if
you ask me and so do the rest of your replies in this thread but
that's probably due to your inpatience and frustration with a busted
PC.
Or, perhaps, he really is the complete idiot that he appears to be from his
posts.

'nutherBob

I have found that stating the Subject with something direct as "Help -
Notepad doesn't spell correctly" or "Help - Hardware failures" or "Help -
Can't get Messenger to work" attracts attention faster than just "Help".
Posting the nature of your question in the subject line usually gets a
volunteer expert's attention faster, especially when it's in an area that
the expert knows more about.

I hope this helps you FFKids.

Now then, back to Q & A time without the mud please.
oops -- I saw mud on my face when I looked in the mirror...

Flames are expected and accepted. Idiot's flames I digress upon that
statement.
=0)

'nutherBob

Fighting for kids

Steve Nielsen said:
Someone in fact DID post a reply and said it was a hardware failure,
which it is. If it was possibly not a hardware failure it would not have
halted but likely would have prompted you for a bootable disk. The fact
that the system halted pretty much cinches it; that error message is
from the BIOS and it means that the system is incapable of booting at
all.

Sorry, no hardware failure. If the system was incapable of booting at all,
would I be here talking right now???

It could be something as simple as a bad RAM module, which is cheap
and easy to replace. You got an answer, perhaps you simply didn't see
the answer. If you're using the crappy web interface to read this forum
stop! Use something with real newsreader capabilities such as Outlook or
Netscape Communicator and you'll have a much easier time sifting through
the thousands of articles here and actually be able to SEE them in
threads. If you don't have the knowledge or resources to troubleshoot it
yourself then take the machine to a shop for testing/repair or if under
warranty contact the manufacturer's tech support.

No im using outlook to read this NG

And yes, the original post in this thread DID come off as a bit rude if
you ask me and so do the rest of your replies in this thread but that's
probably due to your inpatience and frustration with a busted PC.

My frustration in dealing with a Microcrap product.

Fighting for kids

Hardly, considering I fixed the problem before anyone replied to the
message.

Fighting for kids

Actually the original post said:

XP, Boot Failed: system halted error.

Should I get MORE specific than that???

Fighting for kids

I would suggest that microsoft makes lousey products rather than user error.