Bright websites hurting your eyes? Try this.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I had someone PM me about the bright theme being a problem to navigate with poor eyesight, as sometimes the bright white parts of the site make things difficult to read. I started working on a darker theme, but in the intrim suggested this bit of software:

Turns out it worked so well that there's no need for me to code a theme as a workaround. I thought it may be worth posting here in case anyone else is in a similar situation.

BTW, if there's ever anything I can do to make using the site easier, please do always let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Reaction score
I was having that issue aswell. Not just here but all pages viewed. Especially of an evening when a lot of ambient light is subdued.
I simply turned the brightness down on my monitor

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Well, that's quite something, Ian. For a long while now I've noticed the "blackness" of the text on this PC has not been deep enough for me. I've tried all the usual remedies suggested but any changes were very minimal except for the Windows High Contrast feature which always seemed OTT to me. This certainly, for me, shows up the text much better even though it might take a while to get used to the overall effect. I'll persevere. :nod:

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
I use night mode on Twitter, Facebook and YouTube as I struggle with websites with white backgrounds. I'll use this one now for PCR :thumb:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'll see if there's anything I can do to improve the readability then, out of the box, as it sounds like it's a bigger problem than I realised. What sort of things would help? Is it the white background of the posts?

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Thanks @Ian, hubby is finding Dark Reader to be a very helpful gizmo because it's making his browsing a lot more comfortable. Nice find :thumb:

Ask a Question