Documentation on Kelly's tweaks?

Terry Pinnell

Kelly's collection of tweaks and repairs at
is a brilliant tour de force, and a major asset to XP users.

But is there any *documentation* anywhere please? Taking just one
example, I'd like to see more than a brief title 'AutoPlay Repair
Tool' on line 234 before I download and run a program called
'Autofix.exe'. OK, in that example, I can *assume* that it will
'repair Autoplay'. But how? (Research shows that there are several
registry keys involved directly and indirectly in this.) On all drives
or just some? Will the TweakUI facility override it, or be over-ridden
by it? Etc...

Generalising, for any tweak at the very least I'd like to know what it
does and what any risks or dependencies might be. Have I just not
found the right location please?

Jon

The majority of her tweaks are of the .reg, .vbs variety, which can easily
be right-clicked > Edit, to view the contained code, and are therefore
fairly transparent.

Jon

kurttrail

Terry said:
Kelly's collection of tweaks and repairs at
is a brilliant tour de force, and a major asset to XP users.

But is there any *documentation* anywhere please? Taking just one
example, I'd like to see more than a brief title 'AutoPlay Repair
Tool' on line 234 before I download and run a program called
'Autofix.exe'. OK, in that example, I can *assume* that it will
'repair Autoplay'. But how? (Research shows that there are several
registry keys involved directly and indirectly in this.) On all drives
or just some? Will the TweakUI facility override it, or be over-ridden
by it? Etc...

Generalising, for any tweak at the very least I'd like to know what it
does and what any risks or dependencies might be. Have I just not
found the right location please?

No one is forcing you to use Kelly's fixes. Don't like the
explanations, don't use them. Like Jon said most of them are pretty
easy to determine what they are doing using a simple text editor.

--
Peace!
Kurt

Rick \Nutcase\ Rogers

Hi,

Kelly wrote most of those tweaks herself, if you have a question regarding
one just ask her (she does respond to email directed to (e-mail address removed)). She
does not intentionally hide anything, but providing documentation for every
single fix she supplies would be a monumental task. Most .reg and .vbs files
are easily opened and viewed in notepad. The autorepair file your used in
your example is documented by Microsoft.

--
Best of Luck,

Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Wesley Vogel

[[Note: The majority of these tweaks and fixes are my own work. Others are
collaborative efforts with MVP's Doug Knox, Bill James and David Candy. Any
others, remain the property of their original authors.]]

(thanks to David Candy for that tidbit).
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_common_tasks.htm

Bootvis - Explained by David Candy
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_b.htm

NOTE: Special thanks to David Candy for his help with the continuing
research in this area/matter.
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_c.htm

Regsvr32 (Special thanks to David Candy)
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_qr.htm

Note2: Special thanks to David Candy.
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_s.htm

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In

Terry Pinnell

Wesley Vogel said:
[[Note: The majority of these tweaks and fixes are my own work. Others are
collaborative efforts with MVP's Doug Knox, Bill James and David Candy. Any
others, remain the property of their original authors.]]

(thanks to David Candy for that tidbit).
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_common_tasks.htm

Bootvis - Explained by David Candy
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_b.htm

NOTE: Special thanks to David Candy for his help with the continuing
research in this area/matter.
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_c.htm

Regsvr32 (Special thanks to David Candy)
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_qr.htm

Note2: Special thanks to David Candy.
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_s.htm

Thanks for the replies.

Until following up Wes's links, I hadn't seen that extensive A-Z.

Wesley Vogel

Kelly's home page here, with other links...

Troubleshooting Windows XP, Tweaks and Fixes for Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp.htm

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In
Terry Pinnell said:
Wesley Vogel said:
[[Note: The majority of these tweaks and fixes are my own work. Others
are collaborative efforts with MVP's Doug Knox, Bill James and David
Candy. Any others, remain the property of their original authors.]]

(thanks to David Candy for that tidbit).
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_common_tasks.htm

Bootvis - Explained by David Candy
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_b.htm

NOTE: Special thanks to David Candy for his help with the continuing
research in this area/matter.
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_c.htm

Regsvr32 (Special thanks to David Candy)
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_qr.htm

Note2: Special thanks to David Candy.
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_s.htm

Thanks for the replies.

Until following up Wes's links, I hadn't seen that extensive A-Z.

Galen

In Terry Pinnell <[email protected]> had this to say:

authors.]] http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

(thanks to David Candy for that tidbit).
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_common_tasks.htm

Bootvis - Explained by David Candy
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_b.htm

NOTE: Special thanks to David Candy for his help with the continuing
research in this area/matter.
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_c.htm

Regsvr32 (Special thanks to David Candy)
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_qr.htm

Note2: Special thanks to David Candy.
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_s.htm

Thanks for the replies.

Until following up Wes's links, I hadn't seen that extensive A-Z.

Just the tip of the iceberg from our Kelly. At one point you used to be able
to order the site on CD I am pretty sure. I no longer see that as an option
on the site though. Hmm...

Anyhow, don't miss this site too:

http://www.kellys-korner.com/

It appears to be almost abandoned these days. Still likely worth adding to
your favorites though.

Additionally, as I'm sure Kelly's quite busy, we (the newsgroup) are also
probably able to give you any help on a specific fix she's provided.

--
Galen - MS MVP - Windows (Shell/User & IE)

Sherlock Holmes

Terry Pinnell

Galen said:
Just the tip of the iceberg from our Kelly. At one point you used to be able
to order the site on CD I am pretty sure. I no longer see that as an option
on the site though. Hmm...

Anyhow, don't miss this site too:

http://www.kellys-korner.com/

It appears to be almost abandoned these days. Still likely worth adding to
your favorites though.

Additionally, as I'm sure Kelly's quite busy, we (the newsgroup) are also
probably able to give you any help on a specific fix she's provided.

Thanks Galen, kind of you - and I'll probably be taking you up in it
<g>.

Rick \Nutcase\ Rogers

I know, I just didn't feel like muddying the waters with technicalities. I
can't think of a better person to have helped her. And I did say "most", not
"all".

--
Best of Luck,

Windows help - www.rickrogers.org