• Nope, never

Votes: 17 25.0%
  • Whats eBay?

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I worry about those two, seriously I do... ;)

Who's seen that film 'Grumpy Old Men' then? :D

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
With Jack and Walter already up there, I worry about the poor angels :D

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
I worry about those two, seriously I do... ;)

Who's seen that film 'Grumpy Old Men' then? :D

LOL!

lol yes i have seen that! im sure they are not that bad

they seem like nice chaps

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Hey ... who you calling old.

Stay on topic ... :p

Reaction score
I've used eBay since 2000 and never had a problem buying stuff from the UK and the US, although it has mainly been books and I guess people who sell collector's books must be an honest bunch. I once bought a new PC but I spoke to the guy selling it several times before bidding for it and he was really nice, so I had no hesitation sending him a cheque. The PC is great; he built it himself and it was much cheaper than any of the many online companies offering PCs.

However there ARE crooks who will take your money and not deliver or deliver stuff that is damaged or faulty. It seems a lot of eBay sellers want paying by PayPal. This can be a problem if the goods you are buying are quite high value and the Seller cannot offer PayPal Buyer Protection (because they haven't a feedback of at least 50 with 98 percent positive). eBay's Standard Purchase Protection is only good for stuff with a value of £120 or less. You get £105 back from eBay if the £120 goods don't arrive, but if your £16 goods fail to materialise, you get £1 because eBay charge £15 per refund.

But if you bid on something that ends up costing £250 and the Seller doesn't deliver, you will only get £105 back. The PayPal Buyer Protection covers you up to £500, but ONLY if it is offered by the Seller. Paying by PayPal is nowhere near as good as paying by credit card - check out the UK forum on www.paypalsucks.com if you don't believe me. And PayPal are owned by eBay!

Still, buying stuff at auctions is not too dissimilar to gambling. Damn that three legged hound that came in last!

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Hmmmmm seems to echo my sentiments of my previous post, not sure about the gambling bit though. :)

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Herbie,

Thanks for a very enlightning post I did not know the finer details to be honest.

Reaction score
Quadophile,

It's a pleasure. I guess you only pick up some of the finer points when problems arise with actual transactions. To read all of the small print in eBay's and PayPal's terms and conditions is a serious task. Understanding it is even more difficult. I only stumbled across this info because I had to!

Off topic; I really like the site. It's very clear and easy to navigate and there seems to be a good mix of knowledgable IT/Computer people and more ordinary folk such as myself. A lot of computer related forums tend to be a bit too exclusive and can be quite daunting for the less technical amongst us. Congratulations to all involved. :thumb:

muckshifter

Reaction score
I had to use PayPal to pay my Hosting fees ... now the Host atomatically deducts anything direct from my CC

Forgot I had a PP account until I got, what I can only assume is, a scam email. :rolleyes:
I wonder if I can delete the account?

OT
Pleased you like our little spot on the Net Herbie
:thumb:

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Herbie,

I totally agree with you when you say
I guess you only pick up some of the finer points when problems arise with actual transactions.
this I believe is what most people do. I once had a problem with my credit card account when I had discovered a few fictitious transactions posted in my statement. i had to go through the fine print :(The dispute went on for 18 months and finally I was cleared by the financial institution. I asked a full report and they had to provide me with one. You will not believe that the transactions were all overseas ones and none of the places I had ever visited ever in my life. In the end I cancelled my account with them and never used the bank again which is one of the top names internationally ( I prefer not to mention the name).

OT

Thank you for the compliments, we certainly feel proud when someone says such things about the site.

Reaction score
Muckshifter,

Couldn't you just tell your credit card company that any future requests for payment from PayPal should be refused? I don't know, but surely a cardholder has the right to stop automatic debits going from their account, in much the same way as a Bank account holder can? :)

OT - It's a really nice spot, so nice that I'm not doing what I should be doing :(

Quadophile

Your story sounds dreadful and I imagine it could quite easily happen again. I know some credit cards, Capital One is an example, make a big deal of guaranteeing that if your card is used without your knowledge or permission, you will not be held responsible. Under UK legislation you already have this protection, but if you have to resort to it then it could take a long time to resolve, as your experience shows. If the cc company make the specific promise to protect you in such an instance, I would guess the matter would be resolved much sooner.

Credit card companies obviously want to reduce fraud to a minimum. They will not mind at all if you contact them, say every six months and ask for a new card with a new number. For them it's a much cheaper option than (a) losing a customer if they refuse and (b) they have to pay out on fraudulent use of your card. It's also a bit inconvenient for you, but it's much better than the potential hassle of someone eventually getting hold of your cc details and using them fraudulently. :)

OT - Dumb n00b question. How do I do quotes like you guys?

muckshifter

Reaction score
Sorry Herbie, I have a nasty habit of writing short and to the point, but then forget to read what I wrote.

PayPal don't know I have a CC. ;) (and don't tell the wife)

OT - It's a really nice spot, so nice that I'm not doing what I should be doing
Uh oh, better get back to work ... or ... take more time off. :D

:thumb:

EDIT:
I just found where to close the PayPal account ... and it takes 6 buttons to press to get there. :rolleyes:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
To do quotes, either press the 'quote' button (lower right of post) or cut and paste text top and tailed with [ quote ] & [ / quote ] (without the gaps).

I've just placed my first item for sale on ebay, that VGA Arctic Cooler for an Nvidia FX5700 Ultra I was trying to sell.

Should be interesting :)

Reaction score
Thats kinda against eBay spirit

I hate these items e.g. MP3 players selling for £0.01 with £38.99 P&P - it's a con.

I may add 20p or so to help cover listing fees, but high shipping deters buyers...

Reaction score
I LOVE Ebay now ! I can't get enough of it ! lol

I am getting really into it now...

Bought loads of things, and sold quite a few now... just sold a Yellow Livestrong band just now ! (Have another one if anyone is intrested) hehe

That's lame how much Paypal, and Ebay take off, but i spos they have to, or what would have been the point in them making it !!! lol

EBAY RULES !

P.S I read a headliner about Ebay this morning, in i think ... the Sunday times ... it read something like : "Ebay getting out of controll". I should have read it lol Along those lines anywayz

:p

Ask a Question