Robbed on EBAY!!!

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Hi all,

Me and mrs are quite experienced on Ebay and have over 350 positive feedback, i have sold old tat for a £1 upto my old LCD TV for £350.

When my mate upgraded his graphics card he asked if i would sell it on ebay, i agreed.

It was 2 x 7950x2.

They sold for £120.

My Girlfriend posted them, after a week the winner got in touch saying it wasn't received and opened a dispute in paypal.

The Missus said she posted it 2nd class, i hit my head as it was not recorded delivery, so no proof of postage.

Paypal resolved the issue this morning, in his favour.

So this guy has kept both graphics cards, got his money refunded as i couldn't prove it got posted and Royal Mail were no help, plus i owe my mate the £120 as well.

I hate Ebay and Paypal and will never use either again.

I understand its solely my choose to use both of these services and do not mean to discourage anyone from using them, just make sure whatever you post is recorded, as i am out £250!!!!!!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Arg, what a pain :( :mad: Did the buyer have much feedback?

I sold a laptop once on ebay and paypal reversed the charges for apparently no reason - even the buyer was confused but luckily got in touch with paypal to correct things. Since then I've been wary of paypal, and don't use it for selling anything of value unless I have to.

Not that it's any better, but aren't you only £120+fees out overall?

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
I can feel for you WF, having had the odd dispute myself (fortunately resolved).

There is just a small chance that the buyer genuinely didn't receive the goods and also a small chance that they will turn up at his place belatedly. You could be really lucky and he may then be quite honest about the whole thing. However, I must say that your chances are exceedingly small.

Hope it works out for you.

Reaction score
This is a big problem with the paypal dispute. The buyer will always come out on top.

I don't think there is much you can do anyone think he can?

Reaction score
Waynos_Face said:
Hi all,

Paypal resolved the issue this morning, in his favour.

That is if he did actually recieve the cards...I know its pretty hard to swollow, but maybe the bloke is been genuine and didn't recieve them

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
That's a fair point there MadX, I've had parcels, including one sent by Play.com, not arrive here.

There are thieves working in Royal Mail, was a news story coupla years ago about a bunch of Nigerians stealing stuff from a SE London sorting office.

I can verify that, my company cheque book was stolen and two cheques for ridiculous amounts of cash were made out to two African names. They totalled around £40K, I had a fiver in the account :D

I hate Paypal with a passion and try not to use it.

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Hmmm not a good tale but a lesson has been learnt..:nod:

Sending 2 graphics cards worth a total of £120 through the royal mail system using 2nd class postage option is tantamount to suicide, as they will get seriously abused inside the postal system and while they wait around in post sacks as they are not a priority..

And theres every chance that this guy the seller did not recieve them..

So I think your title should be changed to..

Silly me or the missus as I just threw £120 down the drain..:nod: :D

Sorry to hear that mate..You may be lucky and the cards may just turn up but I doubt it..

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
You got complacent ..I did a few times but got away with it...sorry to hear :(

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Thanks guys, i suppose there is a chance they didn't turn up, but from the way he sounded in our emails back and forth i think it seems he is a cocky little fibber.

Oh well thats half of the xmas money i had put aside for the missus anyway. Looks like a bleak xmas for her at the moment.

Reaction score
Waynos_Face said:
Thanks guys, i suppose there is a chance they didn't turn up, but from the way he sounded in our emails back and forth i think it seems he is a cocky little fibber.

Oh well thats half of the xmas money i had put aside for the missus anyway. Looks like a bleak xmas for her at the moment.

Hey mate not all little cocky fibbers are thieves...

And as for the Chri****s been bleak...Its not about the amount of money that you spent on a gift for somebody, but the thought that went into it...Years ago I forgot to buy my sister a present for her 21...So I wrapped a box of matches and gave it to her..She said it was the best present anybody had ever given her..12 years later, I still give her a box of matches for her birthday every year..

Reaction score
Hi,
Having had a similar experience in the early eBay/PayPal days, I will now only send items
'to be signed for' 1st Class or by courier. The return slips shows who signed for and where
and when. P & P is paid by the buyer anyway.
eBay & PayPal have to then accept these then, in YOUR favour. Ofcourse, you will often still
encounter an out and out criminal, but at least YOU have done everything legally and above
board.
PayPal will usually back the person who has opened the dispute. So, make sure YOU have all
possible loopholes covered before entering a deal. It's your own fault if you get sloppy!

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
Trust me not even Parcelforce48 with tracking is safe, i had a parcel last month go missing in its Glasgow depot ( tracked to there) ..10kg , i sent a replacement which arrived (signed for) and filed for compo for the lost 1..

Heres the reply..original found and delivered 17 days after going missing . Deliverd by Convenient Delivery (WTF???? ) ,i am in the middle of a 3 week "WAR" with them to get my compo as it has not been delivered (no Signature either) ...so not everything is safe with our Postal friends :mad:

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
THanks for the input guys, i normally send anything worth more than £10 recorded delivery, but my missus took it to the post office realised she only about £2 and decided to post it anyway.

I got an email request from Paypal asking for feedback on the dispute, personally i think its disgusting how someone can just wait for something to arrive 2nd class then claim it didn't as there is no proof. The guy had less feedback than me and he had 3 negative feedback as well.

Have closed mine and the missus ebay and paypal accounts.

Oh well at least i have the guys address and he doesn't live that far away.

Oh and to MadX i know its the thought that counts and all that but i couldn't give my missus a penny for her thoughts it would be more like a tenner each. Plus she has gotten me 4 tickets for me and me mates for Glastonbury next year, so i can't be too cheap.

Ask a Question