Do you Cook/Bake?

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
... that we only have half-litre bottles of beer...

Happens every so often in Finnish pubs:

Client: A beer, please. A... ahem... small beer.
Bartender: Oh, you mean a PITIFULLY small beer?
Client: 'Fraid so, yes, I'm driving.

Normal: 0.5 l
PITIFULLY small: 0.33 l

:p

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
Additional top tip: "spiced" breads like this one are popular [placeholder for the no-no word for THAT holiday in December] presents here.

joululeipa.jpg

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
I can imagine that bread would be delicious with added spices! I'll definitely be trying that :)

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
I can imagine that bread would be delicious with added spices!

I've used (slightly crushed) fennel and caraway seeds... both work fine. But for [placeholder for the no-no word for THAT holiday in December], it'd be cardamon & ginger, too. In moderation, mind you.

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
There should be a rule against making someone this hungry so far from lunch! :drool:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Ah, smørrebrød, I remember it so well from a holiday in Denmark many moons ago. There seemed to be endless variations and all were delicious. :)

It was very difficult to hold back and I had a great desire to try them all. However, I had to watch the old waistline. :D

Otherwise I might have ended up looking like this..........................

Anorexia.JPG

:D

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Today I made Boerewors

207wavm.jpg

It's a mixture of ground beef and pork with pork fat.

35mnscy.jpg

Finished product ready to cook. Boerewors can either be cooked in the oven or in a pan. Place boerewors in the pan and fill it half full with water and start cooking. As the water cooks off the pork fat starts to come out and this is what browns the boerewors.

Reaction score
Just read and watched the video, luckily Sarah has the dinner on cos this has made me very hungry.:D:D:D

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
That's impressive! Don't think I know anyone who makes their own sausages. How difficult is it?

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
That's impressive! Don't think I know anyone who makes their own sausages. How difficult is it?

It was the first time we had done it as well. The hardest part was mixing all the herbs and spices as we didn't have a pestle & mortar, but made do with rolling pins and sandwich bags. Mixing 10 kilos of beef and 5 kilos of pork together was a bit awkward just because of the sheer volume of meet.When it came to filling the casings we thought we would struggle, but it just came naturally to John. The worst bit was after we had finished I must have washed my hands 5 times and they still smelled of raw meat.

THIS is the machine we used.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
I've had boerewors in South Africa having been there many times. :)

Do you have some South African connection, Evan?

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Do you have some South African connection, Evan?

I was born there. That said in this case I was making boerewors with friends from my church and one of them is South African. The boerwors we were making is for a charity fundraiser on the 30th October to raise funds for a homeless charity in South Africa they will be attending for 3 weeks in December. :thumb:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
The boerwors we were making is for a charity fundraiser on the 30th October to raise funds for a homeless charity in South Africa they will be attending for 3 weeks in December. :thumb:
Hope it's a great success and you raise lots of funds @EvanDavis. Your finished boerwors look very professional it reminds me of the Cumberland sausage, only I think your version is much larger. Very tasty too, I would think. :thumb:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
In answer to the OP ,,,,,,,,, yes.

b2WyEcT.jpg

CpyTbll.jpg

In Estonia, meatballs are called lihapallid and are similar to those of Finnish or Swedish cuisine.

Mum style.

1 kg lean beef mince
500gm pork mince
six slices brown bread soaked in water, squeeze the water out.
four medium eggs
six medium onions finely chopped
three teaspoons mixed steak spice
two tablespoons dried parsley

mix

form balls and coat in fine breadcrumbs

oven slow cook in dish along with plenty of beef dripping

When cooked the meatballs should be moist not dry.

You can freeze these. That is if they last that long.

Best eaten in winter straight from the oven being careful not to burn the inside of the mouth.

:cool:

If any of the above remain they will be my staple diet when I come out of hospital in a couple of weeks time.

Last edited:

Ask a Question