Do you Cook/Bake?

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Oh my goodness, some of those look amazing! :D

I love baking. I'm getting pretty good at it now - I have friends who are allergic to eggs, friends who are gluten intolerant, plus one vegan, so I've had to learn a whole variety of approaches!

I baked some cookies today - they are about as similar as Millie's Cookies as I can get, and I used a mix of M&Ms and Poppets in them.

Becky's cookies 1.jpg

Becky's cookies 2.jpg

Left them in the oven a little too long, but other than that they're very tasty! :D

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
Yes, I bake — all the bread I eat. Sweet stuff? Not so often.

That said, last week I baked a batch of THESE. And no "kneading therapy" for me when I make the pulla dough (it takes some serious elbow grease to get it right); I used 1 dl less flour (and 2 teaspoons of cardamom) and let my trusty BOSCH work the dough for 20 minutes.

Result? *BURP!*

:drool:

*BURP!*

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Yes, I bake too... and this thread is making me feel extremely hungry!

@Becky - your cookies look seriously yummy, I'll bet they don't last long!

@Urmas - ooh, the pulla bread looks wonderful, I can imagine it being very tasty.

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
@Taffycatpulla comes in many shapes and sizes — the only thing common is the dough — and the most popular variation is THIS.

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
@Urmas those pulla look divine! I've never made anything like that before, I might have to give it a try. The only thing I've made that is similar is a savoury Couronne (which is an enriched dough with a filling swirled through it):

Savoury couronne 1.jpg

Savoury couronne 2.jpg

It was filled with mozarella, parma ham and basil. Mmmmm :drool:

Pulla is next on my list! :thumb:

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
I have friends who are allergic to eggs, friends who are gluten intolerant, plus one vegan,

I feel your pain. I have one vegan friend that constantly tries to change what everybody eats. We ignore him most of the time.:p

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
I feel your pain. I have one vegan friend that constantly tries to change what everybody eats. We ignore him most of the time.:p

I don't mind catering for vegans, you've just got to be creative! In fact, one of our favourite meals at the moment is completely vegan :)

...That being said, I wouldn't want to be a full time vegan!

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
@Urmas I've started looking into doing the Dallaspulla for Easter, and I have some questions for you!

1. The recipe just says 'flour', but should I be using strong flour?
  2. What is vaniljakastikeaineksia (the vanilla sauce mix)? Is it a powder? How much is in a packet? I'm thinking that I could use custard powder as an alternative, but I don't know how much I'd need.
  3. Also, did you add the cardamom to the bread or the filling?

Last edited:

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
@Urmas I have some questions for you!

1. You can use strong flour, but I'd rather use all-purpose flour because the result is "lighter" — both in colour and consistency.

2. Custard powder would be OK, too. As for the amount... the one I used — read: the one I happened to have in my pantry — comes in 63-gram bags. If used for its "original purpose", i.e. vanilla sauce (to be ladled over slices of cakes), it should be mixed with 0.4 liters of milk. Does that help you? Anyway, the filling isn't exact science. Aim for super sweet, super vanilla-y, gooey... thing. Oh, and here comes Edd China's top tip: the filling will solidify when it cools, so don't let it cool down to room temperature before you apply it on the dough. Keep it warm-ish, not hot.

3. Cardamom is for the dough. Two teaspoons, coarsely crushed. Pulla dough is such a staple here that stores sell crushed cardamom in small tubes containing the amount needed for a "family-size" pulla dough (i.e. 0.5 liters of milk, 2 eggs, yada yada).

6414201200109.jpg

Here is a HOWTO-video for (braided) pulla. Mind you, the dough does not need to rise quite that much — double the original size "and then some" is enough. But you'll get the idea of the consistency of the dough.

(Edit: for some reason, the board software won't allow for starting the video at x min y sec. SO: Pulla dough section starts @4min 28 sec.)

Last edited:

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
That's very helpful @Urmas! Thanks very much :thumb: Looks like a nice soft dough.

Reeeally looking forward to giving these a go... I'll be sure to share some photos :D

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Holy moly! Well that should keep me busy for most of 2016... not to mention destroy my waistline!! :drool:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
@Urmas those pulla look divine! I've never made anything like that before, I might have to give it a try. The only thing I've made that is similar is a savoury Couronne (which is an enriched dough with a filling swirled through it):

View attachment 9683

View attachment 9684

It was filled with mozarella, parma ham and basil. Mmmmm :drool:

Pulla is next on my list! :thumb:

That looks so yummy. :thumb:Wish I had time to bake. Maybe after I have moved and got meeself settled.

Ask a Question