Do I need a more powerful router?

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm having an foot stamping issue over the speeds at which my pages on the web change over.. I have a wireless Belkin G router of about 18 months old and this is coupled up to a desktop, i have a laptop connected wirelessly but recently i have allowed my son to have his desktop connected to the net via ethernet. He does a lot of heavy action online gaming and "limewire"? (not too sure what that is all about, but he says its transferring music files etc etc) Since he has had a connection of his own and only when he is online and gaming etc, my pc's (both) are a pain in the bum, they are so slow to the point you want to rip his plug out! Could it be that the router is just not the correct one for the amount of use its getting.. I have had a quick look about and only came to this possible conclusion as the newer Belkins do have the wording also " suitable for online gaming" etc in their list of uses! or am i barking up the wrong tree?
happy Xmas to you all, Julie

Reaction score
So its the issue with PC transference or internet to PC transference you have?

If the later, I would suggest you look at what connection you have to the net and maybe increase it?

If you only have 1mb or lower and it is shared between two or more systems then yes it will be slow if he is gaming and using (cough, cough Cr*P) Limewire ;)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
It isn't the router that's causing the problems, as TD says it is the amount of bandwidth you have to the net (i.e. the download speed).

If your son uses Limewire then that will suck up a big portion of the bandwidth and slow your connection down.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Confirmed - Gaming and downloading stuff from Limewire will slow things to a crawl across the whole network.

Either rip his ethernet connection out or tell him to download overnight. Or pay for his own bandwidth :D

Reaction score
cheers me dears..

Okie Dokie, I'm a little lost with the what "PC transference or internet to PC transference you have?" but i have a pretty high package with Wanadoo currently paying for 8.1 Mbps, have also checked to see what we can actually get in our area and its 6Mbps.. so that bit should be ok, it must that Limewire Cr*p you refer to, i was a little suspicious... Well looks as if he either loses the limewire or loses the internet connection, his choice.. I was getting to the point of cutting his cable in half...

So whats with all these fancy new routers then, is that another gimmick to just sell the newer ones.. are they just putting extra wording on them to encourage us to change?

Reaction score
Okie Dokie, I'm a little lost with the what "PC transference or internet to PC transference you have?" but i have a pretty high package with Wanadoo currently paying for 8.1 Mbps, have also checked to see what we can actually get in our area and its 6Mbps..

Lime-wire will take most of that 6Mbps which leaves little for the rest of the PCs

so that bit should be ok, it must that Limewire Cr*p you refer to, i was a little suspicious... Well looks as if he either loses the limewire or loses the internet connection, his choice.. I was getting to the point of cutting his cable in half...

Wanna knife :D

So whats with all these fancy new routers then, is that another gimmick to just sell the newer ones.. are they just putting extra wording on them to encourage us to change
They want your ££££££££££££££££££££
nod.gif

Ask a Question