problems with new router

Reaction score
Hi.
I got a new "Belkin ADSL Modem with high-speed mode Wireless-G router". Now the installation disk with it, when i put the disk in nothing happens, when i open the disk there is a few files, one being "autorun" when i right click it and then click install it says "ERROR installation failer". from that when i connect the router to my computer it cant connect to the net. now i dont really know about routers but am willing to learn. At first i thought it was the disk i got with it but i returned it and got a new one, but same thing again, i tried the disk and router on my new computer aswell but same again. my cousin got the same router, but he has cable internet so his is a bit different and his disk installed on his straight away and he has the same computer as me. it says on the box "easy install wizard" lol not for me. But any help would be great. Thank you

Reaction score
Hello
In my openion, best thing is to go to command prompt (start, run, type"cmd" enter)
then type ipconfig you will see the IP of the gateway (something like 192.168.0.254)
now go to IE and type http://(IP address of the gateway)
now you can do the setup via web browser.

The routers do not need the disk its just for you to have an easy way to set it up. Personally i think its best to do it via web.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
a2amali is right in that you don't need the disc to set it up - although it can make life easier - it seems your disc may be defective.

As he says you can type the IP address of the gateway into your web browser and access the router settings that way - Belkin's are usually http://192.168.2.1/ - or get it via the cmd prompt.

Reaction score
I did that thank you. But now its something else....always is with me. I got it connected but now i am not able to go to any sites now. The only thing i can get is youtube. I try to go to a web page, like msn for example, it loads under 1/2 way then stops there. Have you come across that before? the is only with the router, my modem works fine, i could not come on here without modem. if you can help with this great

Reaction score
Its not just you, happens to many of us.

Sounds like a DNS issue, check the DNS settings in your router and your PC. DNS is what finds the websites when you write them in english. I would say call your ISP and find out your DNS.

It is also possible that you may not have setup your router correctly. Try to go in the router where DNS is mentioned and check if its set to automatic or not. If you know the DNS of your ISP then just put those IP addresses in the router.

Hope it sorts your situation out.

Ask a Question