Do Beta Testers Get Free Copy of Final Release

Jason Saffer

When I received an e-mail invitation to beta test Vista, it said the following:

Invitation to participate in Windows Vista pre-RC1 test program
We would like to invite you to help test the latest build of Windows Vista.
Thank you for participating in the Windows Vista Beta 2 Customer Preview Program (CPP). Your help is playing a critical role in improving the overall quality of what we believe is one of the most important OS advances in the history of PC computing. As a participant in the Beta 2 CPP, you will be able to download Windows Vista Release Candidate 1 (RC1) as soon as it becomes available.
In the mean time, we are inviting a limited number of CPP participants to help test a pre-RC1 build. Your timely feedback on this build will help us improve the quality of the final RC1 release that will be available to millions of customers in the coming weeks.
We are only making 100,000 downloads of this build available. As soon as we reach 100,000 downloads, the program will be closed. Participation in this program is not required for participation in the RC1 CPP. Whether or not you participate in this pre-RC1 test, we will send you another email message to alert you to the availability of the final RC1 build.

I am wondering if this means that I am eligible to receive a free copy of Vista when it is released. Is the RC-1 build the production version that is going to be offered in stores?

I'd appreciate if anyone knows specifics about this. Thanks very much.

....Jason

Guess Who

No, no, no, no, no.

RC1 is most likely the last BETA version before the code goes gold. The RTM
version would be what is shipped out as the "final" code for Vista. This
WILL NOT be free to CPP beta participants.

[...]

No. testers don't get a free copy of Vista when it ships. RC1 isn't what will
be sold on shelves. RC1 is Release Candidate 1. Release Candidate means,
rather it use to mean, that MS is saying "hey guys, we think this is release
quality, do us a favor and give it a once more over, before we ship".

That is what RC was through to XP, then with Vista, it's just another stage
of testing.

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

No, neither the CPP participants nor the Technical Beta members are promised
anything for free.
You are NOT a Beta tester.
Instead you are a participant in the Customer Preview Program (CPP)
The Technical Beta and the CPP are two different programs with different
purposes.

All that Email says is that you may be able to download a Beta version of
Vista.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

[...]

Chad Harris

Actually Jupiter, I'm betting even money they do. It should be the least
reason to Beta test though. The information traded on the groups among
some very good user enthsiasts along with the MVPs should be one of the top
reasons , not to mention that MSFT cuts off their nose to spite their face
when they make the Beta chats hard to find for the public and deny them
access to live meetings and any semblance of bug reports on Connect.

Coupled with the absolute scarcity of decent Technet type articles on
Vista's practical major everyday features and utilities and omponents by
MSFT's technical community liason writers that are assigned to each Vista
team, I'd say this is a huge shortcoming for MSFT and has to compromise some
of the books that will show up on shelves soon for Vista.

There is some great information on many of the Technet and MSDN blogs, but
that's an ectopic, metastatic out of the way location for the general public
logistically and time wise.

CH

Gary MCSE

When we tested XP Professional X64 Edition, we were given the opportunity to
"Swap" one good copy of XP X86 for a Copy of X64.
Not necessarily a free copy because we already had a copy of XP that we had
purchased prior to testing X^$..

Gary MCSE

[...]

Something to consider is this:
How many so called Beta Testers ever send a bug report?
Be aware that Microsoft keeps a close watch on those that do send Bug
reports and If I was Microsoft, I would take care of those that actually
took the time and effort to report any problems found.
A $.10 DVD is a very inexpensive way to get reliable "Field Testing".

Gary MCSE

[...]

Michael Cecil

Something to consider is this:
How many so called Beta Testers ever send a bug report?
Be aware that Microsoft keeps a close watch on those that do send Bug
reports and If I was Microsoft, I would take care of those that actually
took the time and effort to report any problems found.
A $.10 DVD is a very inexpensive way to get reliable "Field Testing".

Or how about $10 per bug reported?

Kerry Brown

Just because someone doesn't submit any bug reports doesn't mean they didn't
test a product. It may mean they didn't encounter any bugs. It may also mean
they did a bit of research and found the bug had already been submitted and
was fixed in a newer build.

Actually some of the beta testers will receive a free final released copy of
Vista. One of my betas is the Windows Feedback Panel Vista Beta.

This beta does give you a released copy when Vista is shipped out in January.

The difference of the Windows Feedback Panel beta is that they only gave me
one disk (my choice of x86 or x64.

This beta also provides complete support by email, chat or telephone.
Whereas, the CPP doesn't.

Here is the letter given when I received the invitation: