DNS and Event ID 5782

Chewy509

Hi Everyone,

This should be a simple one for everyone out there...
We have setup Exchange w/Instant Messaging to working on
"(e-mail address removed)", which is the same as their email addresses.
However the client can't connect properly because when I resolve
"mydomain.com" to an IP address I get the IP on the DC, and not of the
Exchange server. (The exchange IP is listed when I do ipconfig
/displaydns, but is not the first one).

To resolve this, since there were multiple "(same as parent) Host
192.168.0.x" entries in DNS, I removed all entries not pointing to the
exchange server. I also disabled (yes I know), "register this
connection in DNS" on all the other servers, which stopped netlogon
from recreating the DNS entries. (PS. DDNS is set to "secure", and not
"yes"). Now when I resolve mydomain.com, I get the IP address of the
exchange server (which is good), and now IM works...

However, on all the servers which I disabled "register this connection
in DNS", I now get event ID 5782 - Netlogon, because I have disabled
"register this connection is DNS". If I re-enable this, netlogon
re-creates the "(same as parent) Host 192.168.0.x" on the DNS server,
which causes IM to stop working, because the clients get redirected to
the other server (ie not the exchange server).

I've tried creating SRV (_http) records (ie _http._tcp.mydomain.com
Service Location 192.168.0.1), but to no avail? I even tried a WKS
record "(same as parent) WKS [TCP]http smtp 192.168.0.1", but still IM
won't resolve the Exchange IP correctly, unless I remove all the other
"(same as parent) Host 192.168.0.x" records and disabling those
servers from registering in DNS...

So any clues or thoughts?

PS. All servers are Win2KSP4 (native AD, and native Exch2K SP3)

G-MAN

Hi Chewy,

Please follow these steps:

1. Open Computer Management and go to Event Viewer -
System Log and look for the most recent event id. 5782.
Note that!
2. Go to services and restart Netlogon service(notice that
it is "RESTART"!)
most recent event id. 5782. Note that!
4. start regedit
5. go
to "HKLM\Systems\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netlogon\Parame
ters"
6. export current settings to a file (registry menu -
export registry...)
7. Add a DWORD Value to the Parameters folder (see point 2)
with this info:
- Valuename: DnsUpdateOnAllAdapters
- Value: 1
8. Close regedit
9. Restart the NetLogon service, notice that it
is "RESTART"
10. Again go to Event Viewer - System Log and look for the
most recent event id. 5782.
11. If all is okay, the most recent is the one you
generated at step 2.
12. When things go wrong you can import the file you have
exported at step 6.

Hopefully this will help!

Kind Regards,

G-MAN

[...]

.

Kevin D. Goodknecht

In
Chewy509 said:
[...]

Your Domain Controllers need those blank records, you should create a new IM
host using a host name such as IM.mydomain.com Then in the ISS Management
console give the IM site a default host header of IM.mydomain.com.

Also, can I assume you have created your SRV record for your IM server?
285131 - XCCC: How to Verify an RVP Record with Nslookup
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;285131&Product=exch2k

You will need and _rvp SRV record pointing to IM.mydomain.com
266643 - XADM: How to Install Instant Messaging Service
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;266643

Chewy509

Kevin D. Goodknecht said:
In
Chewy509 said:
[...]

Thanks to both Kevin and G-Man for the replies. I'll try these out on
Monday, and will get back to you with who it works out?

Darran

Chewy509

Chewy509 wrote in message
"Kevin D. Goodknecht" wrote in message
Thanks to both Kevin and G-Man for the replies. I'll try these out on
Monday, and will get back to you with who it works out?
This was exactly what I was looking for, as it clarifed 2 small
points... 1, the virtual server name context and 2, the _rvp SRV DNS
entry... So it's now working... (Article 266643 was great with this...
onlt if MS could've had that in the online help, and the whitepaper on
IM w/exchange)...

Thanks again,

Darran.