Event ID 5782 every 2 hours

MIcrosoft

Hi, recentley had to reinstall Win2kAS on a new hard drive, and I am
getting event id 5782 every 2 hours, and nothing I have tried seems to solve
the issue. Here is how things are setup:

1 Win2kAS as PDC, with Exchange 2000, SQL 2000. DNS Service is not
installed. I have followed all knowledge base articles about disabling
Dynamic DNS registrations. I am using an IP adress given by ISP and am
using my domain name registrars DNS servers. I have one of those DNS servers
listed in the DNS tab of TCP/IP and the other two DNS servers are my ISP's.
None of these DNS servers support Dynamic registration, so I have disabled
this. But if it is supposed to be disabled why am I still getting this
message, and why does the error say there are no local DNS servers? I never
had this problem with my first installation.

Any thoughts of how I can fix this?

Thank You

Paul

Kevin D. Goodknecht [MVP]

In
MIcrosoft said:
[...]

http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=5782&eventno=481&source=NETLOGON&phase=1

PaulG

Thank you very much for the helpful link. I will post back what I find
works.

Regards,

PaulG

Ace Fekay [MVP]

In
MIcrosoft said:
[...]

Not sure how you got the first one running properly, since you used your
ISP's and registrar's DNS servers for this installation. Basically you
CANNOT use a foreign DNS server with an AD installation. AD requires it;s
own internal private DNS so the Netlogon service can register it's SRV
records that are required for domain communication. Without these records,
all sorts of problems are guaranteed to occur. This article is a good start
to understand AD's fundamental requirements:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=291382

Also, read this post from a couple of weeks ago that I posted for someone
with similar errors that are due to the same reason: