Display driver problems

G

Hi

I'm having big trouble installing an ATI display driver. After trying the ATI Cataclyst 3.10 Beta version, wich was cousing a minor failure in my system, I would return to the good working 3.7. Then my problems first started.
First of all I could'nt remove the 3.10 driver from the system using standard procedure, it keep oin finding that 3.10 when restarting the PC. I had to find the last pieces in the registration database and remove them there. Now I cannot install the new driver without having a standard VG driver installed, and this I cannot install. It will not give me the opertunity to choose a standard vga driver at all. Does anyone have a surgestion how to solve this. Thanks.

P

peter

The last time I had a few problems of this nature I had to remove the video
card under device manager after running the ATI uninstall utility(which is
on the ATI website)
Then upon reboot let XP re-detect the card and load its generic XP radeon
drivers.
At this point I was able to load the ATI drivers and reload all of MMC.
Try the 3.8 drivers they have worked for me with digital out to an LCD
display.
peter
Per said:
Hi

I'm having big trouble installing an ATI display driver. After trying the
ATI Cataclyst 3.10 Beta version, wich was cousing a minor failure in my
system, I would return to the good working 3.7. Then my problems first
started.
First of all I could'nt remove the 3.10 driver from the system using
standard procedure, it keep oin finding that 3.10 when restarting the PC. I
had to find the last pieces in the registration database and remove them
there. Now I cannot install the new driver without having a standard VG
driver installed, and this I cannot install. It will not give me the
opertunity to choose a standard vga driver at all. Does anyone have a
surgestion how to solve this. Thanks.

G

Hi Peter

Thank for your reply. I'd tryed, but i did'nt help. I think the big problem is that when I look display properties/settings there is no card installed at all. And in device manager it say "video controller (VGA compertible)" and with a questionmark on top of the ikon. And when I try to install a driver manually it say's problems with installing, installation stopped. Very strange.
Right now I can't se any other solution than another grafik adapter ( ex. nvidia) and se if XP will offer the correct driver, and if it does pherhaps, it then will accept my own. I have an older PCI adapter to try.

Ask a Question