Disk Drive not working?

Reaction score
Hi!
I'm new to PCreview, so forgive me if I don't really know how it works... I'll just start with my problem...

My disk drive hasn't been working for about 4 days now, I've tried re-installing it, and some other things but it still won't work. I'm willing to try anything to get this to work as long as it won't damage my computer-
i'm running Windows Vista,
i've had my computer for about 8 months
i have an Acer Aspire 5100

I've tried about 6 different CD's- games, music, blank cd's, picture cds, etc.

Any ideas? And also could you tell me if acer is a good computer brand? I've had a ton of issues with it and it's driving me crazy...

Thank You!

Reaction score
ACER are a budget brand but produced by ASUS.
There hardware should at the very least - be reliable.

I'm sorry but in order to help you we're going to need more detail, please.
What is the actual problem with the drive?
Based on your comment about CD's - Is this a CD/DVD drive that appears to be dead?
Do you see the device listed under Device Manager?
Have you tried removing and refitting the drive? Be firm. ;)

Reaction score
Well, when I put a cd in the drive it won't register with the computer-- so i can't use CD's or DVD's in my computer. I don't know exactly how to explain it. I just put the cd in, and it won't show up on my computer no matter what I do....

Reaction score
Does the DVD Drive show up in my computer? If not then follow this reg fix (to be safe make a back up of you data)

Step 1: Start Registry Editor

XP

Click Start
Click Run
Type regedit and then click OK
Registry Editor starts

Vista
Click Start
Type in the start search bar - regedit
Look above all programmes click on regedit
Click continue on the Vista security.

Step 2: Delete the UpperFilters registry entry

XP and Vista

In Registry Editor, expand My Computer by clicking the + symbol next to the name
Expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
Expand SYSTEM
Expand CurrentControlSet.
Expand Control
Expand Class
Under Class, click {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} - click on the name and NOT the +
In the right pane (topic area), click UpperFilters
Note A UpperFilters.bak registry entry may also appear. To delete the UpperFilters registry entry, you must click UpperFilters and not UpperFilters.bak.

On the Edit menu, click Delete
When you receive the warning message, click Yes to confirm the deletion of the UpperFilters registry entry
The UpperFilters registry entry is removed from the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} registry subkey.
Note Do not exit Registry Editor. You must have this program for the next step.

Step 3: Delete the LowerFilters registry entry

XP and Vista

In Registry Editor, stay in the same location as you were for the UpperFilters entry. In the right pane (topic area), click LowerFilters.

Note A LowerFilters.bak registry entry may also appear. To delete the LowerFilters registry entry, you must click LowerFilters and not LowerFilters.bak.

On the Edit menu, click Delete.
When you receive the warning message, click Yes to confirm the deletion of the LowerFilters registry entry
The LowerFilters registry entry is removed from the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} registry subkey.
Exit Registry Editor.

Step 4: Restart the computer

Step 5: Test with DVD or CD

Ask a Question