Colin Barnhorst

I do not use them unless I am having some problem installing something or
some other mysterious issue. Then I run Registry First Aid. On rare
occasions it will resolve the problem. Otherwise I am comfortable knowing
that there are hundreds of entries left over from various one-time actions,
software removed long ago, etc. and don't worry about it. It never helped
with those pernicious problems, like botched Symantec stuff. If casual
users use cleaners and don't try to outguess them by overriding cautions and
forcing ill-advised removals then I guess it is all OK.

M

Mikkel Mus

Skimmed the above ... You talk about at lest two very different things: Defragmentation and Cleaning the registry.

One talk about defragmenting the registry ... You mean the RAM I think.

Diskeeper originally made Microsofts, so I stick to their very excellent program. It can also defrag MFT etc ... I will be looking forward to a program where I myself decide what programs I want to lye where. And that the usage of each file is logged. But Diskeeper have introduced this I-FAAST, which does some of the above. Not all. Anyone knows how to do this ?

Regarding the registry I use jv16, as the Finnish author Joumi or whatever his name is - to my knowledge - invented the reg clean category. I have used his program for years from version 1, and have never had any problems fumbling around in the registry using his software. I always use his agressive way of getting rid of keys, and I have long ago stopped taking backups.

So guys ... this way ... and a few more tweaks ... my dobble boot XP/Vista runs fast and crisp on my lovely 5 year old IBM Laptop .... 750 MB RAM + 1500 MHz CPU ... Nice ... Who needs new hardware, when software freaks like Joumi and the Diskeeper guys are born ?? Not me.

Next job for me will be to install Vista via an USB HD, Defragment several times, and then switch the HDs to have the most frequent used files to lie near track 0. A HD's read / write is twice as fast in the inner tracks.

Put mr. Mark Russonivics in the same category as the folks above. Sysinternals.

Regards ... Mikkel

EggHeadCafe - .NET Developer Portal of Choice
http://www.eggheadcafe.com

M

Mikkel Mus

Skimmed the above ... You talk about at lest two very different things: Defragmentation and Cleaning the registry.

One talk about defragmenting the registry ... You mean the RAM I think.

Diskeeper originally made Microsofts, so I stick to their very excellent program. It can also defrag MFT etc ... I will be looking forward to a program where I myself decide what programs I want to lye where. And that the usage of each file is logged. But Diskeeper have introduced this I-FAAST, which does some of the above. Not all. Anyone knows how to do this ?

Regarding the registry I use jv16, as the Finnish author Joumi or whatever his name is - to my knowledge - invented the reg clean category. I have used his program for years from version 1, and have never had any problems fumbling around in the registry using his software. I always use his agressive way of getting rid of keys, and I have long ago stopped taking backups.

So guys ... this way ... and a few more tweaks ... my dobble boot XP/Vista runs fast and crisp on my lovely 5 year old IBM Laptop .... 750 MB RAM + 1500 MHz CPU ... Nice ... Who needs new hardware, when software freaks like Joumi and the Diskeeper guys are born ?? Not me.

Next job for me will be to install Vista via an USB HD, Defragment several times, and then switch the HDs to have the most frequent used files to lie near track 0. A HD's read / write is twice as fast in the inner tracks.

Put mr. Mark Russonivics in the same category as the folks above. Sysinternals.

Regards ... Mikkel

EggHeadCafe - .NET Developer Portal of Choice
http://www.eggheadcafe.com

Ask a Question