Discussion: when is a program considered nagware

Gert van der Kooij

Just my opinion:

It's not nagware if only one message appears during startup that the
program has limited functionality and the payware version provides all
functionality.

If the functionality which only works in the payware version is
available in the freeware menus etc. and displays a nag screen everytime
the options are choosen _or_ if the nag window is displayed multiple
times 'at random' it's nagware.

Considering this definition it's off-topic to discuss nagware.

Craig

Gert said:
Just my opinion:

It's not nagware if only...
Gert;

I don't mean to pick on your post but it illustrates the problem with
the vote: We're all carrying around our definitions of "nagware." So,
in the end, it just depends on whether our personal definitions are
benign. Which is pretty arbitrary. I'm guessing this is what happens
when a group shoots (votes) first and aims (debates) later.

Couple of other comments on other threads related to this...

John Jay seems to think that Corliss started this because of a post of
John Jay's. No. I can't read Corliss' mind but I do read acf.
Recently there are more posts, accidental and intentional, responding
with payware. It's cyclical (and I'll wager coincides w/new peeps
coming on board or "passing through").

Also, some people like to discuss this issue as one being between
"reasonables" and "purists." For me, at least, reminding peeps to stick
to freeware is a practical concern. If you want me to repeat my
assertion, let me know.

In case you haven't noticed, discussing pay-nag-whatever-ware can be and
has been done without raising ire nor eyebrows in this group. This has
been done repeatedly by using common-sense techniques outlined in the
well-documented, rarely-read netiquette guide and acf faq.

Using John Jay's pdf payware post as an example, netiquette might have
looked like:
1) add [OT] to the subject line
2) a short blurb on the item w/an offer to discuss in another venue

Netiquette is an act of civility. But it takes an extra step that gets
lost out all too often. I hope to remember netiquette more often.

I recently got stomped on by an OP for posting a "payware!" alert on a
product where the "intro" was the only thing free. "She" seemed hurt
and indicated that I was being snobby. But, I thought I was providing a
service to alt.comp.freeware. I still do.

My favorite was discussing whether a "no cost" copy of Nero was freeware
(thanks again Dave). We had a good discussion that I think moved things
forward w/o "sides looking at each other with distrust."

As long as I'm hanging out in alt.comp.freeware I'll be calling out
things that aren't freeware (if it hasn't already been done). Because
at the end of the day, defining what *isn't* freeware is practically as
important as defining what is. And once that part is done, civility can
guide us the rest of the way.

<steps off soap-box>

-Craig

Susan Bugher

Craig said:
Gert van der Kooij wrote:
I don't mean to pick on your post but it illustrates the problem with
the vote: We're all carrying around our definitions of "nagware." So,
in the end, it just depends on whether our personal definitions are
benign. Which is pretty arbitrary. I'm guessing this is what happens
when a group shoots (votes) first and aims (debates) later.

The ACF definition of Nagware is in the ACF Ware Glossary.

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/WareGlossary.php

"Nagware: has a popup (nag) screen, asking you to purchase the software.
You must press a button to get past the nag screen."

ACF votes are based on ACF definitions - not personal definitions. IMO
the ACF definition should have been in the OP. FWIW - it's clearly not a
valid poll if voters are using unknown alternate definitions of Nagware
rather than the ACF definition. IOW - if people are voting against
Nagware discussion after mentally making an exception for the Nagware
apps they like (on the grounds that those apps are "not really Nagware")
this poll is meaningless. . .
Couple of other comments on other threads related to this...

John Jay seems to think that Corliss started this because of a post of
John Jay's. No. I can't read Corliss' mind but I do read acf.

Not as carefully as you evidently think you do. . . ;) Hint: read the
"Wav Editor?" thread.
I recently got stomped on by an OP for posting a "payware!" alert on a
product where the "intro" was the only thing free. "She" seemed hurt
and indicated that I was being snobby. But, I thought I was providing a
service to alt.comp.freeware. I still do.

I agree. Thanks. :)

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=BBQ=AB?=

Craig wrote:

Not as carefully as you evidently think you do. . . ;) Hint:
read the "Wav Editor?" thread.

I think that's what Craig meant. That thread has no John Jay Kenny
posts and no references to him. Kenny has recommended Pdf995 (without
pointing out its ads/nags), but John didn't respond to him.