Discussion: The US Presidential Election

Reaction score
I have the same reaction with friends in the US as you, most of them voted for Berni Sanders, but Clinton won the nomination.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Truth of it is, now the finalists for Presidency have been selected, candidate personality will have little to do with the voting, it seems to have now come down to a simple argument between Republican or Democrat so those American voters are just slinging filth at the opposition (mainly from the Republican side it has to be said from my observations).

I feel kinda sorry for the USA only having those two fools as candidates but I'm also gobsmacked how they accept the nominees for what they are.

It would be interesting, if, somehow, the whole USA population refused to vote until they got some worthwhile candidates but they won't, will they?

Must admit, even if I was a die hard Republican, I just couldn't vote for Trump, it would leave the foulest taste in my mouth doing that.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
It was pretty shocking to hear that Trump had been nominated in the first place, considering his widely reported track record of bigotry and racist views. If he actually gets into the White House, I think America and the rest of the world is going to be in for an extremely bumpy ride.

I hope Clinton will win the election - okay, she is not without fault, but at least she is able to conduct herself with a little more dignity than her opponent. Hopefully, she would be more likely to consider and weigh-up her options, rather than reaching for the nuke-button, "Just to show 'em who's boss!"

Our own political system is far from perfect, but having more than only two candidates, makes for a slightly better mix, in my humble view.

Returning to Becky's original question about "If there was one thing you could change about the upcoming election, what would it be?" I think I would want that the nominees would have a background in the military. My reason being, that someone who has experienced the reality of being on the front-line, is going to have a better understanding of what it means: the true cost, both financially, and in terms of lost lives; the humanitarian issues that come in the aftermath of conflicts, etc. (I guess I would also make it mandatory for candidates to be subjected to psychological testing too, just to ensure that they were more like Colin Powell than Rambo!)

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
... it seems to have now come down to a simple argument between Republican or Democrat...

Fixing the Communications Failure

("Open PDF in Browser" or "Download This Paper")

A process that does account for this distinctive form of polarization is 'cultural cognition'. Cultural cognition refers to the influence of group values — ones relating to equality and authority, individualism and community — on risk perceptions and related beliefs.

1*zoowVvmt7faJGyjYG9M7rw.png

Cultural Cognition and Scientific Consensus

"It's Hayek ... wait; it's Honey Boo Boo ... no, it's ... wtf!": cultural cognition "black-blue dress/Einstein-Monroe" worldview assessment tool!

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Latest Trumpton news is that he will not release his tax return figures. Why not you may well ask.

One may argue that if you want to run for president, you should not be concerned with how the disclosure of your tax return might affect your tax audit. That is the price you must pay to be transparent to the voting public. President Nixon disclosed his tax returns while under IRS audit. There was no suggestion that his disclosure had an impact on the audit.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/berniek...disclosure-controversy-part-one/#7fbd7a874d93

:lol:

Ask a Question