Discussion Room

Reaction score
Any chance of a sort of Discussion Room where members with say over say 500 posts could chat to others online? Just a thought as sometimes it would be easier than a PM?

Just an idea floating in my head, i do get these some time!:lol:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I've deleted the duplicate thread, you just made. ;)

Wasn't this discussed before? I forget the outcome though...

Reaction score
I've deleted the duplicate thread, you just made. ;)
Oopps so did not realise i had posted twice.;) i feel a :fool:
Has been done before & probably by me (i forget things these days, it's my age!:lol: but just thought it was worth a 2nd go & you never know Ian might think it's a good idea!:D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Do you mean like an open-chat for every day stuff, or somewhere that things can be debated (politics, etc...)? :)

Reaction score
Open Chat where form members could just chat etc.
If you limited it to say 500post+ that would weed out spammers etc.
And be a good springboard to chat to other forum users, voice views & support each other and a source of talking instead of PM'ing someone?

Just a thought.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'd be interested to hear what others would think of this - as long as there wasn't an open forum for debates (as it can get heated on some topics!) then I'm open to ideas :).

Reaction score
:) It sounds like a good idea to me, providing that we all have to understand and respect other peoples opinions. Also as feckit proposed open to members with 500 posts as by that time anyone who joined in would have by that time would have built a relasionship with other members and understand not to flame

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Not really sure what we would talk about that we couldn't do in the normal forums. Do we really need to keep things away from non-members and low posters?

And, as for PMing, I'm not so sure that much goes on, does it? Certainly not from my point of view anyway. Maybe all the rest of you talk to each other a lot with PMs.

I would need a lot of convincing on this one.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Yes I am for it but as rightly suggested 500 post count is the minimum that should be allowed. It can be called "The Review Room" and any member can get an entry with the minimum 500 post count.

As for PM's yes I use it a lot as it is very handy tool for one on one basis at times. Since I have been around for a decade most members know me and a few of us also communicate on e-mails.

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Yeah could be good but how many would actually use it regularly.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Mine would be a "yes" vote too and I would also agree with the point about limiting the use of such a facility to folk who have notched-up 500 posts. :nod:

Perhaps a "shout-box" would be a bit more appropriate than an actual "chat-room" though(?) It's a good way of exchanging a greeting or a bit of brief social chit-chat, without distracting from the main forums.

Perhaps it's something which could be trialled for a few months then voted-on? :)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I don't do PMs, it's like text on a phone :rolleyes:

Why you want what, a general discussion, we already have, I dunno ... or is it something like a padded cell, in pink. :cool:

:wave:

edit;
you after a "live chat" room or something like that?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I had to admit, I'm a little confused :blush:... would this be for just general chatter that couldn't go in the general discussion section because it's just chit-chat? It may be possible to add a shoutbox section if that was the sort of thing - but I'd need to see what the server load was like :).

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I probably wouldn't use such a facility as probably in the first ten minutes I'd upset 90% of my fellow members with my POV's :D

;)

They had a chat room for a while at BBF, at first it was used a lot but I don't think it's there anymore.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I dont see the point tbh, why not just have an 'off topic' thread in GD or something?

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Would it not be possible to use the new Google+ service ? It would save Ian a lot of work and server bandwith. :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Would it not be possible to use the new Google+ service ? It would save Ian a lot of work and server bandwith. :)

Google+ is in limited Field Trial
Right now, we're testing with a small number of people, but it won't be long before the Google+ project is ready for everyone. Leave us your email address and we'll make sure you're the first to know when we're ready to invite more people.

;)

Ask a Question