DIMM Socket Replacement

Reaction score
Good day everyone, Just a quick hard core techy question for all of you.

I have 2 mother boards, One is a old 600mhz POS and a somewhat old 1.2ghz mother board. Both are Asus, And yes before you chide me that the speed of it isnt telling you much but thats just the speed of CPU's are currently hold.

Now then, In my very old POS board i have 3 Dimm sockets, and in my new one i have 2 Dimm sockets with looks to be a possible expansion for a 3rd socket.

Now keep in mind before replying to this post, i know full well how to remove and add Ram, What i want to do is add another Ram Socket onto this motherboard without F**king it up. I also want to remove a Socket from my old board and put it onto here. They both use the same type of Ram, i know this cause i have tested it out already.

At the moment i have Saudering tools on the table with 2 mother boards plus a crap load of other tools.

Any assistance that could be rendered would be greatly appreciated.
If possible walk me through how to remove the socket first before telling me how to add it in there.

Thanks!
Kystien

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
welcome to PCR

the BIOS will crap out ... not to mention several other possible scenario failures.

:user:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
If we were to take an economical view of the proposed scenario the sensible-o-meter would swing wildly into the red.

Complete waste of time, effort and talent, in my opinion.

And the everpresent question is - why?

Motherboards were manufactured in different guises but for reasons of economy one master blueprint usually existed with all sockets in place, sealed where they weren't going to be used.

As Mucks said - even if you were successful in transplanting a memory socket from one triple layered board to another (unlikely) the BIOS would have a hissy fit.

Not worth the effort.

Reaction score
I did it once on an old motherboard

I wanted to expand the memory capabilities of an Amiga Accelerator. I took and old socket off a motherboard which took me hours - I mean literally hours to desolder it!

Then soldered it onto the Amiga accelerator board which took 15mins or so and hey presto, room for and extra stick of ram :)

And it worked!!!

However this scenario is a bit different :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
On reflection, although the proposed operation seems like a complete waste of time to me, to the question 'Why?' a person could answer 'because it's there'.

Odds on success? let's say 20% on, for a lot of effort.

And I assumed the BIOS would already have been flashed to whenever the last update was issued.

Bear in mind though that as I briefly mentioned above motherboards from that period will almost certainly have a triple layer pcb track layout and possibly a quadruple. This means that each component leg will go through a 'tube' and be connected to three or four tracks.

The solder will fill each tube and attach to each track, making solder extraction very difficult.

If this operation were done in a professional workshop a hot air de-solder device would be used along with a solder suction setup, similar to a small high suction vacum cleaner.

At best the home technician will be blessed with desolder braid and a single suction pump action solder sucker which are not really suitable for a job as complex as removing a DIMMS socket.

I have removed many capacitors from motherboards and even freeing up two legs is difficult.

kystien, if you go ahead, good luck, but don't be too optimistic ;)

Ask a Question