Digital Xmas!

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
The festive season is here and many may be considering getting a digital camera either for themselves or for their loved ones.

Everyone knows that the National Geographic magazines is one of the best when it comes to photography, their photographers have a lot experience of shooting pictures and each picture that you see in the magazine is painstakingly selected and for each picture that is published, 5,999 are discarded! The folks at National Geographic have come up with recommendations for digital cameras which demand serious consideration from prospective buyers.

While checking out the November 2004 issue of the National Geographic Adventure magazine I found recommendations for three digital cameras in categories defined as THE SNAP SHOOTER, THE AFICIONADO and finally THE BUDDING PRO. The first category can be termed as budget conscious, the second as enthusiast and the third as serious amateur. Whichever category you choose, rest assured you will not have any regrets going for the particular model recommended.

Without wasting any time, here are the three chosen models

THE SNAP SHOOTER

Nikon Coolpix 3200 (3.2 MP)

($300)
Key features: AA size batteries, high quality 3x zoom lens, good macro capability, very light and small in size.

pic_001.jpg

THE AFICIONADO

Olympus C-5060wz (5.1 MP)
($600)

Key features: Excellent lens coverage for shooting great landscapes as well as portraits (27-110mm), Very long battery life, very durable aluminium-alloy body, full featured auto and manual overrides for greater control in shooting.

936_top1.jpg

THE BUDDING PRO

Canon EOS Digital Rebel (6.3 MP)
($1000)
Key features: One of the best value digital SLR in the market, comes with 18-55 mm lens as part of the kit. Choice of nearly 60 interchangable lenses, super fast autofocus lens, probably the only camera with pro quality at a reasonably affordable price.

digital_rebel_586x225.jpg

Happy shooting! err....shopping! ;)

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
I was amazed to hear how many photos the National Geographic discards - quite eye-opening! I can't wait to travel around the world a little and get some good pics :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Wow, that Canon is making my mouth water :)

No flash, I notice, just a hot shoe. Edit: oops, just checked the spec, it does have built in flash.

£600.00 from Amazon UK.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Becky: Please do not raise your standards yet to the level of NG photographers otherwise we all here would get to see only one of your pics after every 5,999 that you shoot :D

Flops: Whenever I post info on any camera, your mouth starts watering, it's about time you made that decision :D

However, let me warn you here for your own benefit that the Canon will not be good for head and shoulder portraits so you will need to go beyond the 55 mm range the lens offers which means an additional lens, a spare battery and a case - if I were you I would add 200 quid to the amazon uk price. The truth hurts doesn't it? Sorry but I always warn my friends.

Thermaltke: It sure is a beast!

I wonder who will be the first to go for one of the three listed :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Quad, if I had the money, I'd get that Nikon model I spoke of earlier this month, about the same price.

I've just bought a refurbished Canon Powershot A80 from Canon via E-Bay, 4 megapixel, so that was an upgrade from my A40. I'm very happy with it so far, cost me £139.00.

I've also just joined Amazon, ordered some Video Editing software from them and noticed you could sell stuff there. So I have a Gigabyte motherboard and my old A40 camera up for sale with them.

Reaction score
Whats the difference between the Cannon EOS 300D and the Cannon EOS Rebel - both are pretty much identically price, same megapixel res and built in flash, lens kit and looks!

Does it come with any memory?

My uncle has the EOS 300D it's amazing.

The 300D/EOS Rebel is on my list of things to buy next year, After car, insurance, lessons and accessories, but maybe just before or on par with priority of new computer.

I REEEEALLLYYY want a DSLR camera. I know it HAS to be a cannon. They look the best and they are nice.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
Whats the difference between the Cannon EOS 300D and the Cannon EOS Rebel - both are pretty much identically price, same megapixel res and built in flash, lens kit and looks!
Chris, they're one and the same. It was given the 'Digital rebel' label as it was the first quality SLR Digital camera to be really affordable.

I don't know if it comes with any memory. Check it out on Amazon or Canon's sites for tech spec.

Reaction score
So they are the same product, called different things?!

The 300D Does not have Rebel written on it...

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Oh. Didn't realise that. In that case, I dunno.

Perhaps they added the Rebel decals after the reviews, perhaps some reviewers said it was a bit of a rebel for breaking price barriers?

Don't really know though, tbh. It's just that after reading a few spec sheets at a few supplier's sites, I assumed they were one and the same.

Sorry if I misguided you.

Reaction score
lol no probs, i was just intruiged.

I will look into it more, as was planning on saving for a 300D...But will investigate the Rebel.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
The price on the Nikon 3200 has come down to such an extent that it now is one of the best bargains out there for anyone looking for a digital camera in budget category. It has to be the best buy currently at around £115 or even lower (if a porper search for best pricing is done).

Anyone considering a camera in this budget ought to keep this model on top of their list for sure. I have yet to come across models offering the features and quality the Nikon 3200 offers at this low price.

Ask a Question