DHCP working, unable to ping...

Reaction score
Hello,

I have an unusual networking issue that I am hoping someone else has had happen:

I have a Server (X), and two clients (A, B). The server is running Small Business Server 2003, and the two clients are running WinXPSP2. When booting up the two clients, they both obtain IP addresses from the Server X, which is serving up DHCP. When I try to ping Server X from machine A the ping is unsuccessful. When I try to ping Server X from machine B everything appears to be working. Machines A and B can also ping each other. Server X cannot ping machine A, but has no problems pinging machine B. I have tried to run an ipconfig release and renew on machine A, and it picks up an address via DHCP. What puzzles me most about this is how X and A are communicating via DHCP, but not any other way.

I don't have any firewalls turned on. I have reset the TCP/IP stack, and the problem still occurs. Machine A can ping its local loopback successfully, and can ping its DHCP-given address with no problems. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas? Any feedback is appreciated.

Jason

Ask a Question