desktop icons disappeared

G

I hope someone can help...my son is at college and called up and told me that all of the icons on his desktop have disappeared...he said he downloaded something off the internet the day before and when he booted up the computer this morning he didn't have any icons...he couldn't right click on the desk top to do anything but he was able to connect to the internet and do other things....we tried to do a restore but that didn't help...any suggestions that i can get my sone to try...thanks for any help....Carmen

G

What ever he downloaded hid his desktop, it still exists. To resolve this problem click on Start > Run. Type in "regedit". If you cannot find Run then go to the internet and in the address bar type "%systemroot%\regedit.exe". A program will open. In the tree view on the left (The window like thing with labels with a caption of "My Computer", "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT", "HKEY_CURRENT_USER", ETC...). Click on "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ Software\ Microsoft\ Windows\ CurrentVersion\ Policies\ Explorer" ( The \ means then or next...). After single clicking on "Explorer", the window to the left will have new content. In the window to the right ( the one with new content) right click on "NoDesktop" click on "Delete" then "Yes". Restatr your computer then presto! ITS A BUNCH OF LITTLE PICTURES THAT OPEN STUFF!

Good luck!

Ask a Question