Desktop gone...

Carl

Hi,

When I start my computer the desktop has gone, instead an error message is
displayed. The error is displayed throughout the whole desktop as if it was a
big desktop image.

Error title in big orange letters: Active Desktop Recovery
Error message:

"Microsoft Windows has experienced an unexpected error. As a precaution,
your Active Desktop has been turned off. To restore the Active Desktop, use
the following troubleshooting tips:

Did your browser stop working, or did you restart your computer without
shutting it down first? If so, click:
Resote my active desktop (button)

Did you recently change your background to a web page? If so:
1. Right-click the desktop and then click Properties.
2. On the Desktop tab, under Background, click the background you want.

Did you recently add a new item to your Active Desktop? If so:
1. Right-click the desktop and then click Properties.
2. On the Desktop tab, click Customize Desktop.
3. On the Web tab, under Web pages, clear the check box for the item that
was added last.

Do you want to turn off your Active Desktop? If so:
1. Right-click the desktop and select Properties.
2. On the Desktop tab, click Customize Desktop.
3. On the Web tab, under Web pages, click to clear all the check boxes."

Probably this error happened after installing a registry cleaner software,
but then I uninstalled it.

Also I tried the advice the error message gave, it did not help.

pls help.

Thanks
Carl

Pegasus \(MVP\)

Carl said:
[...]

Registry cleaner? Sigh . . . There are several threads here each week
dealing with this subject. Most so-called "Cleaners" are pure snakeoil:
Useless at best, highly damaging at worst.

Try using System Restore to return Windows to a point before
you installed the registry cleaner.

db.·.. >

active desktop doesn't work
if the server providing it
with the html is inactive
or erroneous or you mis
configured it or your system.

therefore it might also be
assumed that you are simply
scap goading something that
has no relevance.

it requires more from a user
to keep his/her system
properly maintained and
tuned up other than just
a registry clean.

http://search.msn.com/results.aspx?q=what+is+active+desktop&FORM=MSNH

you may have done to
your system, you might
simply run a "windows
repair" process via the
windows installation cd
if you cannot do a
system restore.
--

"Carl"
<[email protected]>
wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

Peter Foldes

Try a System Restore and stay away from those registry cleaners.They can hose your system contrary to what they say