Demon mail problems

I use Outlook 2002 (version 10.6515.6735 SP3) to contact two e-mail servers
via Demon as my ISP. One e-mail server is Demon, the other is on another
site. It all used to work fine.
After some changes to our accounts at Demon, I do not seem to be able to log
in to the POP3 server (incoming mail) on either site. This problem occurs
whether I use wireless LAN via a Netgear Router/ADSL or dialup via rthe
inbuilt model in my Toshiba laptop.
Anybody else got this problem?
Richard Palmer

neo [mvp outlook]

Do you have any security software (e.g. antivirus, antispam, firewall, .etc)
installed that can scan pop3 email? If yes, try uninstalling (or disabling)
that program to see if you get POP3 services back.

"Richard Palmer with Outlook problem" <Richard Palmer with Outlook
news:[email protected]...

Yep - and when I disabled (temporarily) Symantec Internet protection
everything worked again!!
But does this mean that I have to do this when I want to connect via
Outlook?
By the way, I like your web site.
Regards
Richard

neo [mvp outlook]

No, just means that you have to review the settings in Symantec to make sure
it isn't blocking Microsoft Outlook. I would start with desktop firewall
settings first since any updates to the Outlook executables could break the
firewall rules to allow for communications.

Next after that is the pop3 account configuration. Symantec tends to
replace the POP3 account information in Outlook so it can scan e-mail in
real-time. Since you did mention a configuration change, I would make sure
that information in Outlook's (check Symantec's configuration as well)
account settings is correct. If push comes to shove, try uninstalling
Symantec/Norton Internet Protection suite, reboot, check Outlook
configuration, reinstall Symantec/Norton Internet Protection suite.

/neo

PS - The issues between Symantec (and other 3rd parties) that implement this
type of solution always introduce these problems because it is huge kludge.
So don't go thinking that switching to some other product will net you
better results in this area.

PSS - Thanks for the compliment on the mvps.org website.

"Richard Palmer with Outlook problem"