Windows Vista Dell M1330 Blue screen

Reaction score
Hi,
Recently had my second motherboard replaced on my Dell M1330. it seems Dell's policy is to just keep replacing these badboys as they are a poor design and the Nvidia GPU keeps overheating and failing. Anyway, following the replacement my laptop now blue screens on a regular basis with the message:

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

A quick google search tells me thats most likely due to a recent hardware change and/or overheating - great!

I have flahsed the BIOS to the lattest version and also upgraded the graphics drivers to the latest from the Dell website, still crashes.

I suspect I will not have much joy with Dell Support as this is a random faliure and an engineer will not be able to replicate it easily - any ideas?

Neil.

Reaction score
Fair point, but different albeit related issue - would forum etiquette been to have replied to my own original post?

Reaction score
ngalbrai said:
Fair point, but different albeit related issue - would forum etiquette been to have replied to my own original post?

Not so much etiquette, but as it is the same laptop and the same problem, albeit you're now geting BSOD, its not a different problem..I'm sure though if mods feel this is relating to your original post they will move it..

What are you doing when you get this BSOD..?What programs games are you running at the time, if any..? What sort of surface is the laptop on when you get this..? Is it on a desk or are you using it on your lap..?I have many people telling me their laptops keep BSOD'ing related to overheating and usually they are sat with it on their laps....Blocking vital vents etc...

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Was running firefox, thunderbird and copying files from HD to external drive. Previous times it has blue screened have also had external drvies attached. Laptop is on desk surface, am very concious of not blocking vents...

Have just run the Dell bios diagnositic and its returned some error codes around RAM and HD. I suspect (like last time) it has not been put together properly after MOBO replacement, last time I had to re seat the ram myself. Have looked at that this time and it seems to be slotted in ok, error message seems to tell me otherwise.

Will call Dell with the error codes and see what they say.

Reaction score
Try reseating the HD and RAM again, and do the diagnostics and see what happens...Quite strange from DELL though just to replace a MOBO, from my experience with them in the pastthey have replaced the whole laptop...Once you could expect, twice though you'd expect them to give you a new laptop..

Reaction score
Well just spoke to dell, talked them through all the error messages i have been getting and they are sending someone out to replace all the RAM, with second course of action being full system restore...??

Will see how we go.

Ask a Question