dell battery problem

Reaction score
Hi I have an inspiron 6000 and the battery has been getting worse and worse and now dies the second you unplug the adaptor.

The battery light on the laptop flashes 4 orange then 1 green, the lights on the battery light up 1,3,5 ie every other light

i've bought a new battery and this powers the laptop ok but does not seem to be charging so i'm now thinking the problem is with the laptop.

the laptop runs fine just off the adaptor with no battery in

any suggestions appreciated.

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Well apart from getting the laptop looked at professionally and could cost you a few quid for a repair, just use the laptop with the adaptor and don't worry about running from the battery..

Not an ideal solution I know but failing that it could be new laptop time if you need to run from battery all the time..

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I would have suspected the original battery but since the new battery won't charge either it would appear a fault has developed within the laptop's internal charging circuit.

Why they don't put all the charging components in the adpapter I just don't know.

So, to reiterate crazylegs' assertion:

1) Use it only with the adapter all the while muttering 'dat's life kiddo'
2) Get it repaired (probably lottsa wonga).
3) Buy a new machine - Toshiba recommended.

Reaction score
Hiya,

Thats strange as the 1,3 & 5 light on the battery confirm that the battery is faulty, hence whilst it's not holding a charge. I would find it strange that the charging laptop in the battery has a fault also as the faulty battery wouldnt affect that - very strange if it has! Is the new battery an original Dell? With the new battery installed and laptop plugged in what does the battery/chargin status light do?

Cheers.

Reaction score
sidesh0wb0b said:
New battery is not a dell, and when its in the battery light does not come on!

Ok this might not work. Have you tried taking removing the battery and AC power and then holding in the power button on the laptop for 30secs, then reinserting the battery and reconnect the power. This drains all reaming power from the laptop.

Ask a Question