Windows XP defrag problem

Reaction score
Unable to defrag with Win XP.
Any attempt results in the error message, "Disk defragmenter Could Not Start"
When attempting "Chkdsk" I get "Windows was unable to complete disk check".

I have downloaded "Diskeeper" and "Auslogic" to see if they would be able to perform a defrag. Neither program would even recognize my local "c" drive.

Any one out there with the solution to resolve this problem I will be forever grateful!

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Try some of the disk tools on the Ultimate Boot CD.

happywave.gif

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Defrag in 'safe mode' if that don't work, get a new hard drive.

:user:

Reaction score
Make sure Page Filing is enabled

It is known that if you have Diskeeper installed there may be issues with Windows defrag..

Reaction score
rbruce said:
Unable to defrag with Win XP.
Any attempt results in the error message, "Disk defragmenter Could Not Start"
When attempting "Chkdsk" I get "Windows was unable to complete disk check".

I have downloaded "Diskeeper" and "Auslogic" to see if they would be able to perform a defrag. Neither program would even recognize my local "c" drive.

Any one out there with the solution to resolve this problem I will be forever grateful!

If Diskeeper does not recognize the drive, then there is a file system error on the volume. Same goes for the WinXP defragger (which is a stripped down version of an old Diskeeper).

Defragging under these circumstances cannot guarantee the safety of the data on the hard drive, so a defragger that uses the Windows/Diskeeper defrag API will not initiate a defrag if the volume is 'dirty'.

You need to check for file system errors.
Run fsutil dirty query as described here:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc788091.aspx
Query the volume and set the dirty bit for the drive.
Then, reboot.
Windows ought to run chkdsk on startup and fix the errors. It may take some time, but let it complete.

If that still does not solve the problem, run the hardware diagnostics from your drive manufacturer to ensure that there is no hardware problem.

Finally try defragging with Diskeeper 2008. If there are no problems with the volume, it will go to work right away and do a great job of defragging the drive.

Ask a Question