Defining logon domain controller during unatteded setup

G

Hello,
I have a question regarding unattended setup of WinXP using RIS but couldn't find an answer yet. Maybe someone can give me an idea.
During the unattended installation of Windows XP from a RIS server, the machine joins the domain automatically. Usually, this functions without any problems because one of the domain controllers in the LAN is used. But infrequently (one time out of 30 for whatever reason), a domain controller from a remote location is used to add the computer to the domain (a Windows Server 2003 Active Directory).
Because the replication topology is defined to only replicate all remote locations at night, when trying to log on to this machine after installation is finished, the computer account can't be found in the domain, because now a local domain controller is used to validate the request. Searching for the computer account, it can then be found somewhere on a remote domain controller but needs to be replicated first.
Does anybody know if it's possible to define a local domain controller during setup to add the machine account to the domain? All domain controllers within the LAN have a normal replication. I've searched for parameters in the unattend.txt and the configuration of the RIS but didn't succeed. We want to start a Windows XP rollout soon but can't find a solution. The WAN is too busy to allow replication during the day, there are about 40 remote locations.
Any ideas, tipps, tricks, whatever? Thanks. Ingrid

C

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Troubleshooting Joining Networks
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prcf_omn_wbog.asp

Testing a Domain User Account
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prcf_omn_bvrp.asp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User

Be Smart! Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

| Hello,
| I have a question regarding unattended setup of WinXP using RIS but couldn't find an answer yet. Maybe
someone can give me an idea.
| During the unattended installation of Windows XP from a RIS server, the machine joins the domain
automatically. Usually, this functions without any problems because one of the domain controllers in the LAN
is used. But infrequently (one time out of 30 for whatever reason), a domain controller from a remote location
is used to add the computer to the domain (a Windows Server 2003 Active Directory).
| Because the replication topology is defined to only replicate all remote locations at night, when trying to
log on to this machine after installation is finished, the computer account can't be found in the domain,
because now a local domain controller is used to validate the request. Searching for the computer account, it
can then be found somewhere on a remote domain controller but needs to be replicated first.
| Does anybody know if it's possible to define a local domain controller during setup to add the machine
account to the domain? All domain controllers within the LAN have a normal replication. I've searched for
parameters in the unattend.txt and the configuration of the RIS but didn't succeed. We want to start a Windows
XP rollout soon but can't find a solution. The WAN is too busy to allow replication during the day, there are
about 40 remote locations.
| Any ideas, tipps, tricks, whatever? Thanks. Ingrid

Ask a Question