Default theme for all users

Andrew

I am just beginning to deploy XP machine at my company. I
would like theme to default to the "Windows Classic" theme
for all users that log onto the computer. Also I would
like the Start Menu do default to the "Classic Start menu"
setting. If one or both of these can be done can someone
please explain how to do it?

Carey Frisch [MVP]

HOW TO: Distribute a Custom Desktop Theme to Users in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...port/kb/articles/q310/5/14.asp&NoWebContent=1

HOW TO: Use the Group Policy Editor to Manage Local Computer Policy in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307882&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

"Andrew" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message:

| I am just beginning to deploy XP machine at my company. I
| would like theme to default to the "Windows Classic" theme
| for all users that log onto the computer. Also I would
| like the Start Menu do default to the "Classic Start menu"
| setting. If one or both of these can be done can someone
| please explain how to do it?

Steve Nielsen

This is how I have done it.

Set one user up with the preferences you want on one machine. Login as
another user on that machine with admin rights, open My Computer and
under Tools select Folder Options, click the View tab and set to Show
hidden files and folders. Click Ok.

Put a blank floppy disk in drive A: and create a new folder on the floppy.

Right-click on My Computer, Properties, Advanced, User Profiles. Select
the user that is setup the way you want it and click Copy to and browse
to the A: drive and select the new folder, click Ok and Ok on the
confirm Copy dialog. Do this once again but copy the profile to
C:\Documents and Settings\Default User folder. All susequent users
created on this PC will now have the settings you wanted.

On the other machines login as Adminstrator, in My Computer set to show
hidden files and folders just as you did on the first machine. Put the
floppy in that machine's A: drive, open the folder on the floppy, select
all, copy, then browse to C:\Documents and Settings\Default User folder
and paste, click Ok to confirm. Just remember to copy the contents of
the folder on drive A:, not the folder itself. All susequent users
created on this PC will also now have the settings you wanted.

Steve