Dead computer.....

RufusW

King Cruncher
Reaction score
Hey chaps,

After about 20 months of running smoothly my self built computer has finally stopped working. https://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-2255118.php
I came home to find it dead. No lights, no nothing.... Bought a new PSU, mobo still not showing any signs of life. so I presume it's a new mobo i need and (hopefully) nothing else.

It was an ASUS P5ND2, should I replace it with exactly the same? Seems the most sensible thing to do. However, i'm wondering, will i lose everything from this computer or will it not notice the switch?

If I can get away with replacing it with anything else what do you recommend? Cheap but reliable would be nice :)

Anyway, i thought I'd come here again when it all went t*ts up, worst thing ever finding your PC kaput...... hopefully it wasn't all the crunching that did it.

As always, any help much appreciated.

Rufus

Spezi

Wolf Cruncher
Reaction score
RufusW said:
Hey chaps,

After about 20 months of running smoothly my self built computer has finally stopped working. https://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-2255118.php
I came home to find it dead. No lights, no nothing.... Bought a new PSU, mobo still not showing any signs of life. so I presume it's a new mobo i need and (hopefully) nothing else.

It was an ASUS P5ND2, should I replace it with exactly the same? Seems the most sensible thing to do. However, i'm wondering, will i lose everything from this computer or will it not notice the switch?

If I can get away with replacing it with anything else what do you recommend? Cheap but reliable would be nice :)

Anyway, i thought I'd come here again when it all went t*ts up, worst thing ever finding your PC kaput...... hopefully it wasn't all the crunching that did it.

As always, any help much appreciated.

Rufus

If you replace the motherboard with the exact same model and your hard drive is fine you won't lose a thing.

I've been using a dozen computers for crunching from the moment I assembled them and have as yet not had any failures that I can attribute to that participation in over five years of continuous use so I'd would say it is a relatively safe thing to do.

I think people who choose to shut down their machines after reading their email and doing their surfing put the equipment under more stress since it then has to endure temperature changes and the repeated expansion and contraction that accompanies it whereas for the most part my machines attain a specific operating temperature and with the exception of necessary reboots operate within a few degrees fluctation all the time.

Not all would agree with that but that's how I govern myself and it's served me very well.

With as many machines as I have the only problems I've had to deal with is a couple of faulty hard drives and replacement of two fans that simply wore out.

My first machine still sits in daughters room crunching away happily well into it's sixth year.

Ask a Question