DDR memory quesions

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
dont worry mucks, there will be no dual channel questions :D

So, checking out a retailer website, i used a memory locator that searches for compatable memory based on my mobo. I then came across some fiery fast memory and thus i have questions :p

Hyper X

I thought it strange that this would show up, my mobo (A8N32-SLI Deluxe) supports DDR 400. But makes no mention of DDR 500, would this memory work with the motherboard or would i have to update bios?

Im sure i asked this question before, and mucks response was more or less dependant on who makes the actual modules. But Is this memory any better than kingstons cheaper memory?

Would i be able to notice any viable speed increases? because i know that this kinda stuff would be used for OCing.

as time passes im sure ill think of more question, thanks!

On anouther note, Would anyone happen to know that the best proc for socket 939 would be? :thumb:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Alf said:
On anouther note, Would anyone happen to know that the best proc for socket 939 would be? :thumb:
FX-60

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Yes that mobo can support DDR500 Ram, however there's no performance benefit of running the RAM @ 500MHz though unless your using very tight timings - AMD loves low latency not high MHz when it comes to RAM.

You would be better off buying quality low latency DDR400 RAM and just OCing the CPU.

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
V_R.... I got the cheap stuff :p

so there is not much difference, its just 100 MHz?

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Save your cash for a big upgrade. :)

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Having looked over here - seems DDR400 is pretty scarce now anyway, so you may as well go for the 500 I suppose - but as V_R says, why not wait a bit and go for a complete upgrade?

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
who said i was buying :D
i just wanted to know just in case

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Perhaps ask again when your ready Alf - things change are changing so rapidly this will probably be out of date ;)

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
socket 939 is dead too, but im happily using it and still upgradeing as well :D

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
OK, your confusing me now Alf - are you upgrading or 'wanting to know just in case' :confused:

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Gots anouther question, Is 4 Gigs of ram worthwhile?

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
What OS? 32bit OS's will see only a max of 3 (or 3.5GB with the memory remap feature in BIOS, mine does anyway.) Even though i'm back to 2gb until i get the replacement for the borked stuff....

64bit OS's will see all 4gb.

FWIW i noticed a difference going from 2 to 4gb in games. With BOINC running two WU's while playing dirt uses just over 2gb here.

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Hmm... so XP wont see more than 3GB?
If i were to go from 2 -> 4 GB or RAM, how big of a difference would there be.. For both apps and games?

Ask a Question